Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cooking-Related Business
    So, I make my living writing articles online. I really enjoy it and don't want to quit anytime soon. If anything, I would like to expand and start writing ebooks.

But I would also love to start a small business on the side. Something that I can do from home, and something that is related to cooking.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about trying to find a company that dropships so that I can sell cookware or something, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I am not interested in the whole Pampered Chef thing -- "parties" really aren't my thing at all, and I don't know anyone who would host those parties for me either.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    As you seem to love writing, I would start a food blog. Cook something, write about it, write about the history of whatever you made, write everything you know about it and try to attract an audience. When you have enough followers you can try to monetize your blog by offering ebooks of your recipes, special mixtures of spices, herbs, ... start small but know where you want to go.

Dropshipping services are only useful when you already have a large audience. It's not something you can start without doing a lot of promotional work.

The worst thing you can do is expect your business to blow up in a week. You have to start slow and gain momentum. Try to be innovative in what you do. It's not a shame that you do something that has been done but do it better. Add value.

Keep it small in the beginning. I've seen a lot of companies going bankrupt because they tried to sell everything they could get their hands on. Pick one special item and sell that.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by elidbugg View Post
    I don’t know about you, but there are so many different kinds of pots and pans out there that my wife and I tend to get a bit confused when shopping for new ones. I have some old aluminum Calphalon and some newer stainless steel All Clad pans that I really like.

I’ve also heard good things about copper, copper core, stainless with an aluminum core, etc, that I decided to ask my friend, Chef Mark, to help us home cooks choose the right cookware. He has some really good advice. I hope it is as helpful to you as it was to me.
    I don't think this would be the right direction to start a small business. If you went along the product design and development route, you would find yourself investing a lot of money before you even have a product that is ready to sell. Let alone getting certifications that allows your kitchenware to be used for cooking and food processing.

Like I said, pick 1 product, start small and work your way up.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Your idea of publishing an ebook is actually great. Or you could author yourself a book, on the other hand you could do critiquing. You can start your website on what to eat or what not to and other related cooking articles. If you decide to pursue a small business, you should first be sure, knowledgeable and that you have a capital to start with your chosen business.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I agree with elidbugg. I think that starting a food blog, if you haven't already, would be a great idea. There are so many free advertising opportunities through social media, like Pinterest, to get you started. Parties are so 'over done', I agree. I think that if you had/have an established blog, that you could even use that to promote your new business, whatever that may be.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Since you like writing about food and cooking, perhaps you could write cookbooks and other books about food, and list them on Kindle and the other e-reader formats, as well as as apps for Android, the Apple network including the iPad, and the other app networks that are emerging.

You could also pick a specific food-related niche and start a membership site. Include a regular paid newsletter, a forum, make some videos, and offer recommendations on merchandise that you are an affiliate for. Do your research well first, but you could find that thousands of subscribers would pay, say, $7 a month for a cake-making membership site, or one about barbecuing, raw food, cooking with kids, or whatever it is.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks, guys. You all have given me some really great ideas to think about. I do sort of like the idea of creating a website.

I could create a website with a forum, newsletter, etc., then promote my ebooks on it as well.

I definitely have a lot to think about and work on. I'm so glad I posted my question here; having fresh ideas is so helpful.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I'm in more or less the same place however I don't make a living from writing....yet. I wrote a 70 page e-book last winter when there wasn't much going on around the farm - didn't make much money but it was mainly to have something to point clients to. I'm also in the middle of converting a caravan into a mobile catering business because I had van from when we moved here and always wanted to cook for others.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Oh yeah my points I was going to make. har. Start a food blog and/or website and go nut with people sharing your expert knowledge with others. You can use this to showcase your work while getting content out there that people can see and hire you on the strength of.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    A cooking blog would suit you just fine in my opinion. You can continue doing what you already do and also mix the new interest in. Find good recipes, cook the food yourself and take lots of pictures. In between each picture write about the process in a funny or interesting tone. Rinse and repeat. Next you can add some ads for cooking wares or any other food related product. From time to time make a contest for your readers and offer some cooking stuff as a prize, that'll keep them engaged.

In time you can expand and build a real business if you consider that blogging is not enough.

Share on facebook