Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You are exactly right! unhappy employees do not have much interest in their work because they just consider it a paycheck and will do the bare minimum to get by. They have not motivation to go that extra mile and put in more work then they have too. If an employer attempts to connect with that employee and possibly go out of their way to make them happy, that employee will feel like he or she is part of the business and will strive to do better and help the business to grow.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I agree. Bosses should really make more of an effort to meet their employees halfway. However, I do understand how some or most bosses become jaded over the years, as there are some terrible employees out there as well, and I think it would be unfair to think that only bosses can be unfair. There are employees who take advantage of a good company sometimes, and I think this is where the problem stems from when it comes to some of the more difficult bosses.

Granted, I admit that some of them are just like that by default due to their personalities, but I think in some cases it's more of a group effort than just a problem with management. However, as I've said, I do agree and I do realize that bosses do have majority of the responsibility to keep the whole company happy.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I agree with all of you.

Of course, it is a place of business, and profit is always the bottom line. BUT, more things can get done and the business can be ran much better if the employees work hard.

And I just think employees are more willing to work harder and do their best when they have a good boss.

Those who hate their jobs are more likely to call in sick or try to get out of working when they don't have to. Those who like their jobs and don't mind going to work will be more likely to stay late or come in on their days off.

People who get respect from their bosses are more likely to want to please them and keep them happy.

Some people will take advantage of that, of course. Those are the people who need to be let go.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I work at a busy restaurant, and I think that raising happy employees is a huge priority. If you push someone to their boiling point, and they quit on the spot for example, your business will take a massive hit. I have seen the manager yell at an employee and then expect them to get back to waiting tables with a happy demeanor. It is mind boggling and I wish that owners would see people as individuals first, and employees second. In the end it is a mutual respect and an "I scratch your back, you scratch my back," effort.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    The trick to keeping your employees happy is to give them space and not watch over them like a hawk. People need to know that they accomplish tasks on their own while still being able to obtain guidance. Not to mention flexibility, always be very open with your co-workers and treat them as friends and not foes.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I absolutely agree. I personally don't have any employees, because I am an independent contractor, but if I did, I would want them to be happy, and have a fun, rewarding environment to work in. I think that the happier employees are, the more productive and efficient they are. People that have horrible, mean bosses will more than likely cause employees stress and can lead to mistakes, and even potentially health problems.
    As a person who has had mean bosses, I know that the employees were only working hard when the boss was watching. If you don't like your boss, you will only do as much work to keep them off your back, because who wants to make money for a jerk?!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickace9 View Post
    I work at a busy restaurant, and I think that raising happy employees is a huge priority. If you push someone to their boiling point, and they quit on the spot for example, your business will take a massive hit. I have seen the manager yell at an employee and then expect them to get back to waiting tables with a happy demeanor. It is mind boggling and I wish that owners would see people as individuals first, and employees second. In the end it is a mutual respect and an "I scratch your back, you scratch my back," effort.
    That's exactly how it was when I worked in the restaurant business. It was horrible. How could you go out of the kitchen with a smile on your face when you really want to snap and leave or start crying? It's brutal in those types of jobs.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    just make sure its a good environment. Honestly I am making minimum wage and my job is not considered fun or rewarding, however I like going into work because I dont hate my life at the thought of working another day there. I have had jobs where it always felt liek I was walking on eggshells, always wondering if I was doing something wrong or going to get in trouble. I have quite often felt that something was going on behind my back. But the current job I have, none of that happens, and for once regardless of not loving the actual job itself I enjoy going to it. !

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    What people should understand is that your workplace is still a place to get work done. You can be as friendly to your employees as you can but there will be a time when you have to be harsh in order to maximize profit. Because profit is everything your business is about.

I wouldn't want to fire all employees after 2 years and tell them "Yeah, but you had fun, no?".

theres a difference between being friends and having fun then to have an enjoyable work space. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to be all fun and games. Just as long as its not a tense office/workplace. That you are kept in the loop of whats going on, theres open communication, and good attitudes. The last job I was at my manager was so unnapproachable that no one would talk to her face they would always send her emails even if just sitting beside her, things were constantly happening behind our backs that effected us without telling us, and no matter how good we were they made it known everyone was disposable. Toxic workplaces are just no fun.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay View Post
    That's exactly how it was when I worked in the restaurant business. It was horrible. How could you go out of the kitchen with a smile on your face when you really want to snap and leave or start crying? It's brutal in those types of jobs.
    I never knew about this! My son is going to work as a waiter this summer. I guess living in the real world doing a real job will help him out. Any advice I could give him ?

Share on facebook