Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Woodworking and Recycle Art
    Has anyone established a successful business making unique, handcrafted furniture and other items for the home? Right now we are basically moving forward blindly, just doing what we love, but some advice from anyone who has made a living at this would be nice.

The top priorities we're looking at are:
    creating a website
    establishing a social media presence and following
    getting assistance from a local organization who specializes in our type of business
    creating a business plan

Are we on the right track?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    That is a great idea for a business mmudd. It is very important that you love your job, especially when manufacturing goods because that will translate into a quality product.

The order of your priorities need to be adjusted a little....
    creating a business plan
    register your business
    getting assistance from a local organization who specializes in our type of business
    creating a website
    establishing a social media presence and following

Note that I have added an item to your task list - you should register your business as soon as you develop your plan, and before you go out talking to others.

The website and social media is your advertising and marketing. Unless you intend to create customized products only, and not have any stock, this should come after you have established an inventory. You do not want to have to turn customers away because you do not have items in stock.

Slightly off topic - Your post reminds me of an item I saw on a website earlier this week. Someone is making small wooden planters and selling them at craft fairs for $16.00. Like you, he/she is doing something they love. Here's the link : http://www.instructables.com/id/Redwood-Rock-Planters/

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Looks good to me. What I would also suggest for marketing is that you focus on sites like Pinterest, Etsy and maybe Reddit. Don't waste your time on Facebook and Twitter, that's useless for the business you're planning.

You could even already start selling stuff through Etsy to see what the demand would be. Later on you can link to your own website for custom furniture and more designs.

Good luck!

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Of course! How could I forget Etsy! Before jumping through all the hoops of starting up a business, perhaps you should first try selling your goods through Etsy. If you see that there is a need/want for your items, then you can direct your business accordingly.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I have a friend who is so passionate about making art works made from drifted wood he found by the beach. At first, he design it and place it in his house, but one time he told me that one of his creation were bought for $1000. Eventually, he made it like a hobby to design artwork made of driftwood and sell it to anyone who appreciate the artwork. I do not have photos of the design that he made, but I search on the internet and found the same kind of work:

** I do not own these photos. Credit to the owners.

wood1.jpgwood2.jpg

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    To do what you love is the best thing to do when it comes to dealing with business, that means you won't have to work a day if it's your passion. So far, you're right on track. Just make sure your website is optimize and you can see your business will flourish soon. It's all about diligence on updating your site and it requires a lot of patience.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    You are on the right track! You have your niche! This is what escapes most of us! If this is your passion you are already on your way to success. No, I have not created a successful business such as yours, so I am not talking from experience, but you have the ground work set. You are researching your next steps and planning things out before you jump in. Do not give up on this venture. Get your priorities in order. (Lots of good advice has been given above.) And then run with this! Action always trumps inaction. Much success to you in your venture! Would love to hear updates along the way!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Personally handmade items are the absolute best. I especially LOVE wooden anything.
    Have you considered going to events or concerts and selling your goods there as a small starting point? I have frequented concerts and festivals and everyone there loves handmade items. Etsy is a great starting place as well as Amazon, and many other websites. Craigslist can get you known in your community, even post on surrounding cities CL. The best advertising is free; word of mouth. Maybe donate a piece of unique furniture to a popular coffee shop or restaurant, have a tag or business cards placed on it.
    Where can we view your items?

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I agree with Kteabc. You might want to strongly consider just going with Etsy as a starting point as they already have a built in audience and you will probably end up saving a lot on your marketing budget doing so. If you do manage to be successful there, then you might want to consider building a site as a complement. At the very least, it would be a good place to at least try out if your products will sell to the masses without much risk and without needing to draw up business plans at first.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I agree, before or during starting your online selections consider Esty or Ebay or even Facebook Garage Sale pages. I have a friend that only advertises through those garage sale pages. He does have a Facebook page but it is probably the most simple page to create and he shares his page (that has all of his pieces on it) with the garage sale pages and this way he gets exposure to thousands of people who didn't like his page! Just a thought! Good Luck!

Share on facebook