Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    OUTSOURCING: Good or Bad?
    Because of the INTERNET - many business owners consider OUTSOURCING to save on staffing costs and maximize profits. This is now the new trend in business, but do you think OUTSOURCING is really worth it? While it is providing job opportunities to other countries, you are denying local people of the jobs that they are supposed to be making. What are your thoughts about this subject?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I outsource some of my graphic design services to a local graphic artist. When outsourcing, you have to be 100% confident in the abilities of your contractor. In my opinion, it is not worth the discounted overseas rates because you cannot be guaranteed consistent quality. I could have a logo designed overseas for $50.00, or have it done locally for $200.00. I know that the more expensive local option will give me the type of results that will please my customer. I could potentially make more profit using the $50.00 option, but without the 1-on-1 contact I have no control over the quality of the final result, and could lose a customer.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    For a small business, outsourcing can be a real help in getting more profit (which is all that matters in the beginning).

Don't worry about the local market, they even outsource their work to other countries.

Outsourcing depends on the domain though. Don't outsource writing, you'll have too much work with it afterwards.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I think if it is a task that can be done by an outsourced person, then go ahead and do it, it is much cheaper. You only pay them when they work. But an employed guy will be paid monthly even if the tasks are not done daily. That is the good thing about outsourcing.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I don't really see it as good or bad, rather just necessary and practical, and to me it's more a reflection of the government of the certain country rather than the businesses that inhabit it anyway. You can't really put it on any company's shoulders to limit their options to local markets just because it is "the right thing to do". In my point of view, companies don't really have these moral obligations aside from the basic ones like staying away from child labor and sweat shops etc. To me, as long as what they are doing is legal, then I am okay with it. I would hardly ask a business owner to put his finances at risk by going with a more expensive local option and I don't think he or she would agree to do so anyway, and I think that is acceptable. Businesses are about making profits, and the employment it provides is just a secondary benefit. It should be up to the government to make it more conducive and appealing to businesses to keep their operations local.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I also dont see it good or bad. I believe for some areas its definitively a neccesity. depending on the situation, I would always outsource low skill jobs because they can be done cheaper and the effect is basically the same. High skill jobs I wouldnt mess with.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    In my opinion it's great. When you are just starting a small business, recruiting foreign talent will save you a lot of money as they usually demand a lower income compared to the local talent. I believe this is due to the differences in currency exchange rate. It's also very common to hear about local organizations or companies that rely completely on employees from foreign countries to perform task for a business or services that is run locally.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    I also dont see it good or bad. I believe for some areas its definitively a neccesity. depending on the situation, I would always outsource low skill jobs because they can be done cheaper and the effect is basically the same. High skill jobs I wouldnt mess with.
    I think you've said it perfectly here! With low skilled jobs, there are a lot of low-cost outsourcers who can complete the task and although they may not always offer the greatest quality, it doesn't matter so much as long as the job is done.

When it comes to the high skilled jobs such as copywriting or web design, you need to be sure that you use someone who knows what he's doing, however, as the results are more important. With these tasks you might be better off using someone local whom you can meet and interact with to verify that you will be getting what you need, before assigning the job. This person will, of course, cost you more than an outsourced worked from the Philippines or India, but you are more likely (although not necessarily certain) to get a good result. Having said that, if you take the time to look around, you can find excellent outsourcers who are capable of quite complex tasks even in these countries, so don't count them out!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    When it comes to the high skilled jobs such as. . .web design, you need to be sure that you use someone who knows what he's doing
    I don't fully agree with that notion. Some of the best web designers in the world are Indians. Let's not make the assumption that simply because someone lives in another country, they can't be as good as those who live in the States. Don't they go to college just like everyone else?

IMO outsourcing can get you better workers than those you can find at home [because the best are already taken] or they're in the web design business themselves and wouldn't do the job themselves [being the bosses] which means you won't even get what you're paying for. It's therefore much better to find someone who has the ability to do quality work at relatively cheaper rates. All you need to do is check his/her work history. If you're impressed with what s/he has achieved, you go ahead and hire that person, if not, you find someone else.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Outsourcing can do good for big companies or corporations. Our school outsources security so they don't have to worry about additional expenses and other necessities to the employees. Most companies who earn big money outsource workers.

Share on facebook