Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I think the best solution is time restriction. You should set your schedule from work and stop working when you are done! From 8 to 16 for example and at 16, DONE! Its the only way to make it work

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Yes. Setting up guidelines to follow is an integral part of running a business whether it be home based or office based. People who pay attention to their work ethics, time consumed and the work done will most likely become successful in whatever they do. Time management is essential in running a business and maintaining it to its optimum potential. More and more people are now discovering the wonders of time management and its about time we do too.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    It depends. My girlfriend can get upset sometimes because I work at home too. Sometimes it is necessary to do some extra work at home so I don't mind. I like to be busy and don't waste time so I can't just watch TV, I have to be doing something else while watching TV and doing some work is great to improve my efficiency.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
    When I first started working from home, the biggest problem I had (time wise) was family and friends thinking that if I was at home, I had free time. Friends would drop over unannounced for tea and a chat. Family members would plan things for me to attend. It took quite a while for me to make them realize that even though I was at home, I was indeed working, and would not be available to them until the evening or weekend.

Setting boundaries early is very important. I now have no interruptions during the work day.
    I feel your pain because this is what happened to me early on! I had to explain to my friends (who understood pretty quickly) and my family (who now get it, well almost . It took me a couple of years to make my relatives understand that this is like any other normal work except I'm doing it from my home! Some of my family members understood faster than others that are still not getting this. My grandma keeps planning reunions and things for me to do without asking me first. She just keeps expecting me to come because I "don't actually have a job" as she says. I love her and I usually go along with it but sometimes I just have to invent stupid excuses just to escape some of these things. I may have a great head pain or a fever and can't attend. Please don't tell her I'm actually working )!

On another note, I work in my living room. I have a desk and my PC there and as I don't have any kids yet I can work pretty much anytime. This is in itself a great danger because of procrastination that can kick in at any time. I try to set a clear schedule for myself and some basic goals for each day. For example, I might plan to work from 8 AM to 12 AM and in this time I have to reach 2-3 goals. This ensures that I will actually be working and not browsing Facebook or who knows what. So I think it's not only about working for a certain period of time, but also being responsible for reaching your set goals.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Very good point, and I agree. I think either one is not more difficult than the other, it just takes a different plan of attack and a whole lot of planning and discipline. I work from home and I try not to allow disturbances, but at the same time I try not to be too strict with them as well when they do happen. My reason behind it is that it's why I chose to work home in the first place anyway, so I can be more present to my family. My biggest weakness isn't disturbances from other people, anyway. I'm more distracted by my own little hobbies and interests and since I'm at home and am my own boss, it's just way too easy to take longer breaks, so I just keep myself disciplined when it comes to that.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I put off getting a office away from home for a long time just because I liked that "work from home" convenience and not having to pay for office space. But now, I have an office and was able to barter my services, in trade for the office, phone and color copier. It's a great deal. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    After initially trying to work from the dining table or out on the terrace on a sunny day, I soon realized that I had to set aside a room in the house to use as my home office. I get distracted easily enough as it is, so having a designated working space is essential for me if I'm going to get the work done without interruptions! We're all different though, and I know many entrepreneurs who like to sit at Starbucks or other cafes with their laptops and work. I just wouldn't be able to concentrate on real work if I had all that noise and movement all around me - even when I worked in a corporate office I insisted on having my own corner, then I managed to wrangle an office with a door I could shut!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, I agree. You need to have some sort of boundaries in place to be more productive in your home business. But I do think that these boundaries will vary from person to person. There are so many different variables to our lives that it would be impossible to say we all needed the exact same boundaries. For example, I no longer have children in my home. So this is not a concern for me. I do have a husband that does not like to feel ignored, though! :0)

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I agree that you definitely have to have boundaries in place if you want to be successful while working at home. It's too easy to slack off on the Internet or get caught up in doing chores or hanging out with your friends and family.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Using a room as an office or work space can help quite a bit. It's especially important with children or roommates in the living space. By isolating yourself from potential distractions, you'll increase productivity.

Share on facebook