Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Choose A Business Name That Works
    When choosing a business name, think long term and choose one that will work in the future as well as the present. Think about your future goals. For example if you want it to become a big corporation, maybe you should not label it with your first name. For example: Joes' plumbing. It makes the business sound too small. Be creative but not so much that you forget to include the kind of business it is. You may want it to sound pretty or exotic but it must be practical also so people will understand what kind of business it is. For example: Charman's Beauty Supplies instead of just Charman.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    That is a great point. I had never thought about that. Definitely would sound terrible to have a big corporation with a first name. Imagine if Microsoft was called, "Bill's Computer Company". Not good. I think that a lot of people go with names that are a play on words, which is catchy and sticks out. There is a small bakery near me called, "Nothing Bundt Cakes". It is petty popular, because the name stands out.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I totally agree that there is a lot to be said for choosing a good name for your company! If you are planning on staying around and growing the business, you have to think out of the box and select a name that will work over time. I agree that leaving your name in the title, especially a first name, does sound "small," but if that is the type of image you are trying to portray then it can work for you instead of against you. I have noticed that many of the contractors around here, in the fields of landscaping and plumbing especially, use their last name for the company name, and I think that also adds some pride to their image.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I disagree! If you have a quality product, you do not require a made up name. Personal, first names have worked well for these very successful companies:
    Ben & Jerry's Icecream
    J. C. Penney
    Tim Hortons
    Walt Disney Company
    Wendy's Corporation

I am certain there are many others - those are just off the top of my head. If Joes' plumbing wants to become a nationally renown business, the name will not hold it back.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
    I disagree! If you have a quality product, you do not require a made up name. Personal, first names have worked well for these very successful companies:
    Ben & Jerry's Icecream
    J. C. Penney
    Tim Hortons
    Walt Disney Company
    Wendy's Corporation

I am certain there are many others - those are just off the top of my head. If Joes' plumbing wants to become a nationally renown business, the name will not hold it back.
    Good point!

Even "Google" and "Yahoo" seemed funny and perhaps were not taken seriously many years ago and yet they are now among the leading giant online companies of today. A good product plus an equally good customer service is usually the "bottomline" in making a new business a success. Though according to some business experts there are basic rules to consider when choosing a business name like uniqueness and name recall.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
    Ben & Jerry's Icecream
    J. C. Penney
    Tim Hortons
    Walt Disney Company
    Wendy's Corporation

You have a great point here. Although the name of a business can still impact the curiosity of customers and can still influence other customers depending on their preferences. Good ideas in business are a very big part of the success of a business regardless of the name of your business. But imagine, if you combine great ideas, goals and visions with a great name which would be enticing to would-be customers then you will have a goldmine on your hands. People would recognize your business almost immediately and would be proud to patronize it. A horrible name, no matter how good your business ideas would eventually impact negatively on your business. If your business name is Tae-tae, in the Philippines Tae means feces, you wouldn't want to be associated with a business named Feces-feces? Am I right?

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    What makes a business name a good name is the quality of the services/products being offered. If you have satisfied and happy clients, word or mouth will bring you to the right client looking for your services. Eventually, you will have to protect that and improve some more. You will then have increased profit and will be ready for expansion. Because of your reputation you are known for, your name will stand the competition until your business name will replace the name of the service/product you are selling.

Example: XEROX. Can you please xerox these papers please... KODAK, COLGATE, etc..

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    It's not necessarily the name that matters as much as the branding. It is paramount that when people think about whatever product or service that your company provides they think about your company. That can be because you have the best of that product. That can be because you happen to have a catchy tune in your commercials. It can also be because the name of your company is completely ridiculous. Every successful company that I've heard of attempts to use branding as much as they can. A good name is the name that people know.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I think that when coming up with a name you really need to think about your company as a whole. You need to consider what you sell, where you are, and how you want society to view your company! I can imagine it must be terribly hard to think of a name for a company that flows well and really captures what you want!!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    One thing that works well if you are brainstorming, is just to go to domaingrooy[dot]com (not my site! i just use it)
    They will automatically give you possible combinations with any word. So if you put in "apple", it will find things like appledojo.com or applesanctuary.com
    It creates a huge list of combinations for you and can help with finding new domains.

If you are going for a name you want to stand out, try to use the 6 character rule. Meaning, if the domain is 6 characters or less its usually easier to remember, and often those domains get really popular if they support a good concept (fiverr,yahoo, google, and many many more). If your domain is... kelseywilfortconsultingfirm.com good freaking luck...

Share on facebook