Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I agree that you should always think of the future and which direction your business might grow in, when picking a name for the company. If you think you might expand into a variety of different areas, you could choose a name that can easily have other words added on to it - for example The President Corporation could later form subsidiaries such as President Car Hire, President Taxis, President Hauling, etc. It could even start out as President Transport, which later becomes a subsidiary of The President Corporation.

There are so many different models to use for naming a company, or a brand for that matter - the example above is just one of them. You might want a name that tells people exactly what the business is about, or a Latin or Greek name that conveys seriousness and sophistication, or a personal name (although this can be seen as a bit old-fashioned now - however it still works in industries where wholesome values are important, such as food). And yes, make sure your name doesn't mean something bad in another language as in a previous poster's example!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I agree. I think it's much better to choose a name for the business you plan or hope to become rather than what it is at present. However, I'd slightly disagree that it's a set rule. I'm sure there are a lot of people who have gotten rich off of companies that have less than stellar names, but I do know what you mean that it certainly does help the process along if the name has a nice ring to it enough to give a better than average first impression.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    It's not the company name that matters but the quality of the product you deliver. Sure, choosing a name for the future is a great idea, but like others here already said, the service you deliver and how you do it is what really matters. Google for example, now a household name, is not what you'd call a great choice in naming. But once value was added to the name it became what it is today.

Now, a great name can and will help your business but you have to focus on other aspects most, a name alone won't do your job.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    If Joe's Plumbing sounds too small, then how did McDonald's get so big? Or for that matter Papa John's? Wrong advice. I have three main things for your naming bucket list. First, don't create a name that will limit you later. For example don't have a name like "Fashionable Shirts" and then figure out in two years you want to expand into slacks and gloves. Second thing is to get a name that works well on the Internet. That means: 1) easy to spell, 2) easy to understand on a radio ad and type in correctly, 3) is not generic such that a search for it yields a million other hits (like "Exotic Wigs" or something like that). Third, make sure you are not violating any other persons trademark or servicemark.

Scott Lawrence
    www.wadefenseatty.com

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Also consider future implications. For instance, having a name that goes XYZ technology Solutions Lts. Will limit you to technology based solutions alone. However, Going for XYZ LTd. Or XYZ Inc. Places no such limitations and you wouldnt need to change your name later. I've always wondered how companies like Piterion, Apple, etc. came up with their names. Any ideas?

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    A name should not be to specific in case the business changes, which many businesses do. A name should be flexible and be able to adapt.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Negative Meanings and Business Location Effecting Name
    Something else to consider is negative meanings your name may have in other cultures, especially if you plan to do work internationally. The name can be unique as long as it is not overly complicated or hard to pronounce. Clearly Joe's Crab Shack is an example if using ones name and simple description of what the business is. Obviously they have gone on to be very successful. It all really varies. In a guide by Fit Small Business they mentioned being wary of using ones location in the name if by chance you want to or are forced to move. E.g. if you are Main Street Barber but end up getting pushed out or simply decide to move to East Street then your name becomes confusing and you could lose business that way.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    We have chosen CityForum for ours. It's the Next Generation Social Media Platform but for Cities. We have been holding on to the domain name for far too long and finally got this project under way. Behind each CityForum there is an Affiliate that will rule that region ... A lot of opportunities, looking for a team as well.

www.cityforum.com
    www.cityforumglobal.com

Happy Money Making !

Share on facebook