Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Trusting your employees?
    We own a rental business, a boat for hire, located in the center of our city. The problem we have been having is that our employees are really dishonest in writing transactions with customers and submitting the collection for the day. Whenever our family is not around to check the business, our employees do not record the payments of our customers who rent out our boats. Thus, we have to keep an eye on our business always in order for profits to come in. We have problems with family members because they are too lazy to work. How about you guys, are you having problems with employees in your business?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    If the employees are not trustworthy, I usually start out with a warning. If they continue to do badly, don't feel bad about threatining them. Remember, you have the power over their jobs, they don't own your business.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    You should fire your employees immediately. If they are not properly accounting for income, and it is discovered that your company is avoiding charging/recording taxes, YOU are liable for any penalties incurred for evading taxes.

There are thousands of honest people out there looking for work, so you will have no problem replacing them.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Gosh, that sounds horrible. You shouldn't have to deal with employees who will steal from you if you aren't watching over their shoulders. I would definitely let them go ASAP. I might even threat or pursue legal action. It is your family's business, and you don't deserve to be taken advantage of like that. I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, and I hope you can resolve the issue soon!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Definitely give them a warning! Your company could get in a lot of trouble for not having valid records. If they don't listen to the warning maybe you need to fire an employee to let the others know how serious you are. Also, hiring family can be extremely difficult! Depending on the relationship with the family member, it can be very hard to tell them that they are doing wrong, and they may think that they can do whatever they want and you won't say anything or fire them. Maybe you need to call a big employee meeting or start calling people out on what they are doing!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    It certainly sounds like you need to change (possibly all) your staff as soon as you can. Make sure you follow all the correct legal procedures in your country for terminating employees (giving verbal or written warnings, permissible reasons for termination, whether you need to pay wages if they have been stealing from you, whether you need to pay compensation for terminating them, etc.) so they can't come back and cause even more trouble for you later on.

When you're putting together your new team, you should consider hiring one or maybe two people in a supervisory role, and introduce clear procedures for recording bookings and receiving payments. Perhaps the supervisors need to handle all payments. And it sounds like you, as the owner, should keep a closer eye on day-to-day operations, at least until you are confident that your new employees are running an honest operation. If they know you - or other owners/management - are around at times, and show an interest in the company and its employees, they are more likely to do a good job.

With the fast-increasing use of smartphones around the world, maybe there is a simple way you can use this technology to help your business. For example, get the supervisor on duty to take photos of your boats (next to their own watch showing the time, if you like) at regular intervals throughout the day so you can see whether boats are rented out or idle. The same for payments made - requiring photos with proof of time can help ensure that your workers keep on the straight and narrow!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    One thing about business is that the only person you can trust is either you or someone who hires you, that's about it. I'm sorry about this situation because it has happened one someone at my workplace, which my boss ended up telling her to leave for good. I would say that being dishonest is simply no more for the employee to continue to work at the place because there will always be a second time. I would say for the important parts, you can do it yourself, otherwise, I don't usually trust anyone besides my parents because they own the business. Speaking of family members, don' hire any family member unless you really have to because it can cause further issues because you simply cannot fire a family member for many reasons. I would talk to the person who does the work or is being dishonest about it, but you have to be more aware about this from now on.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay View Post
    Gosh, that sounds horrible. You shouldn't have to deal with employees who will steal from you if you aren't watching over their shoulders. I would definitely let them go ASAP. I might even threat or pursue legal action. It is your family's business, and you don't deserve to be taken advantage of like that. I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, and I hope you can resolve the issue soon!
    Yes. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. The problem is hiring trustworthy people, there aren't really a good number of people who are honest nowadays. Even our relatives, nephews, cousins, nieces aren't or won't be honest for long. I have seen people who come and go as our employees but I can't find anyone who would be completely honest in remitting profits.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by oregano View Post
    It certainly sounds like you need to change (possibly all) your staff as soon as you can. Make sure you follow all the correct legal procedures in your country for terminating employees (giving verbal or written warnings, permissible reasons for termination, whether you need to pay wages if they have been stealing from you, whether you need to pay compensation for terminating them, etc.) so they can't come back and cause even more trouble for you later on.

When you're putting together your new team, you should consider hiring one or maybe two people in a supervisory role, and introduce clear procedures for recording bookings and receiving payments. Perhaps the supervisors need to handle all payments. And it sounds like you, as the owner, should keep a closer eye on day-to-day operations, at least until you are confident that your new employees are running an honest operation. If they know you - or other owners/management - are around at times, and show an interest in the company and its employees, they are more likely to do a good job.

With the fast-increasing use of smartphones around the world, maybe there is a simple way you can use this technology to help your business. For example, get the supervisor on duty to take photos of your boats (next to their own watch showing the time, if you like) at regular intervals throughout the day so you can see whether boats are rented out or idle. The same for payments made - requiring photos with proof of time can help ensure that your workers keep on the straight and narrow!
    Finding good employees isn't an easy task. I actually want to install CCTV's, Video Camera's but that would be too expensive and hard to maintain especially since our business is not that complicated. The only complicated thing is that the city rents out these stalls and we rent it out from the city. It's a lake within a city. Anyway thanks for all those who took the time to read my post and for giving advice.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    You just have to find a creative way for employees to want to report all sales.
    One way is to incentivize them by paying an added bonus that is a percentage of all sales from each person or from the whole group.
    If that doesn't get them excited then lower pay to the minimum wage in combination with the percentage bonus.
    The more they report the more they make, you wouldn't want any limits on how much you make why would they be any different?

After all if your business is popular and successful, shouldn't your employees get a little piece of the action from you instead of taking it behind your back?

Look into using cellphone creditcard swipes, even paypal has this feature. Making your guys hand write sales tickets could be burdensome enough to make them want to skip it.

Share on facebook

Last edited by GordonTheComputerGuy; 01-21-2014 at 07:50 AM.