Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Putting up CCTV cameras or employing another person to watch your boatmen (staff) would not really solve the problem but rather add to your operating expenses. If the business is really doing well and your staff doing a good job then why change them. You can also add a clause to their work contract (or make one if you don't have it yet) clearly stating your regulations about un-reported transactions. Indeed, you have the right to fire them if they are found to be deliberately cheating you. Gordon is right, why not put a percentage of all sales and that way, the more they report their transactions, the more incentives they would receive.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonTheComputerGuy View Post
    One way is to incentivize them by paying an added bonus that is a percentage of all sales from each person or from the whole group.
    If that doesn't get them excited then lower pay to the minimum wage in combination with the percentage bonus.
    The more they report the more they make, you wouldn't want any limits on how much you make why would they be any different?
    Very clever GordonTheComputerGuy!! This is a wonderful solution. Not only does it give the employees a reason to properly submit sales, but it also teaches them that in order for them to make money, the company has to make money. The only problem I see with this is that they are most likely pocketing more in a day than they could ever earn through a commission. Because of this, I still think the employees should be removed. The new batch could them be given this incentive bonus.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    The transportation business has a lot of trust issues especially the taxi business. A lot of hired help drive the vehicles or boats at their own leisure or to private functions and you can be sure it will not be recorded in the books. All you can do is try to set up a monitor to track the whereabouts of the vehicle or boat, a boat can be fitted with gps that can track it's data for the day so that you know where someone was and at what time. This means that you might have to invest on such a device. It's just the way it is.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I haven't experienced anything like that but if your employees don't understand they you pay them with the money you make and that they are taking away profit so you will have to eventually fire them, then it's better to let them go. Dishonest people are always bad.

You should talk to them and tell them you know what they are doing. Then think of a system to record every boat rented out, even if no one of your family is there. You could put an sensor on the closet with keys for boats for example and record every time the closet opens. This way you can just divide that number and know how many boats were rented out. Or think of something else, I don't know what the workflow is to rent a boat from your company.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    If you don't have an employee handbook for your business, try crafting one and assign it to all your employees. I believe there are advantages of having one because you can clearly convey, for example, the policies, procedures and standards of your business, as well as the values and mission of your business. And thus, you can potentially improve relations with your employees because there's no guessing game when it comes to management decisions, and you have an official reference for dealing with issues in your workplace.

And so when it comes to firing any of your employees, having an employee handbook will help "cement" your decision and protect your business.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonTheComputerGuy View Post
    You just have to find a creative way for employees to want to report all sales.
    One way is to incentivize them by paying an added bonus that is a percentage of all sales from each person or from the whole group.
    If that doesn't get them excited then lower pay to the minimum wage in combination with the percentage bonus.
    The more they report the more they make, you wouldn't want any limits on how much you make why would they be any different?

After all if your business is popular and successful, shouldn't your employees get a little piece of the action from you instead of taking it behind your back?

Look into using cellphone creditcard swipes, even paypal has this feature. Making your guys hand write sales tickets could be burdensome enough to make them want to skip it.
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, cellphone creditcard swipes and the like are far too complicated for our business since we are leasing the place from the City. I'm not sure they will allow us to install such contraptions and equipments. We are regulated by the City of Baguio so we have nut much choice. Hopefully in the future those things will be applicable to our business as I myself would want automation to happen.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gHiros View Post
    If you don't have an employee handbook for your business, try crafting one and assign it to all your employees. I believe there are advantages of having one because you can clearly convey, for example, the policies, procedures and standards of your business, as well as the values and mission of your business. And thus, you can potentially improve relations with your employees because there's no guessing game when it comes to management decisions, and you have an official reference for dealing with issues in your workplace.

And so when it comes to firing any of your employees, having an employee handbook will help "cement" your decision and protect your business.
    I forgot to add, that most of the guiders or employees we have aren't permanent of full time employees. They go as they please and that's another problem we're having, besides disloyalty we have lazy part-time employees who go there when they need money. I'm not in full control yet of the business but I might fire them when I'm running the business already.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by owesem75 View Post
    Putting up CCTV cameras or employing another person to watch your boatmen (staff) would not really solve the problem but rather add to your operating expenses. If the business is really doing well and your staff doing a good job then why change them. You can also add a clause to their work contract (or make one if you don't have it yet) clearly stating your regulations about un-reported transactions. Indeed, you have the right to fire them if they are found to be deliberately cheating you. Gordon is right, why not put a percentage of all sales and that way, the more they report their transactions, the more incentives they would receive.
    Yes. As I have mentioned, we just can't afford purchasing CCTV's and maintaining a surveillance just for our part-time employees. And besides, I don't think the City and the Park Management Office would allow us to set up such contraptions in the Lake.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I'd hate to be in a situation where you can't trust your employees. You're getting paid to do a job, can't hurt to follow the rules.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    It's always a risk whether you high some stranger or someone from your family members to work with you on your business. If you want to be sure that they are doing their job, you can always install cctv cameras in the office. Have an audit about everything on a regular basis so make sure that your resources are in tack.

Share on facebook