Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It is your company. If I have employees who are not trustworthy I tend to take and fire the employees who are stealing. Something else which will help you out is using hidden cameras. This tends to cut down dramatically on the opportunity for the employees to steal from you.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    For this kind of situation, I would really say recruitment is very important. You need to be able to recruit only the right people from the very beginning. Do not hire those whom you think you cannot trust. Do a lot of tests and screens in order to look into people's honesty. There's no point hiring someone you don't trust enough. It would only be a waste of time having to watch over them all the time.

I would say invest in a good recruitment process in the beginning and you'll surely have less problems with people later on.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    In response to the other posts, I think that adding bonuses would help. Something like taking them out to dinner would make them like you more. Small tricks can go a long way in building trust!

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I dont trust anybody too much. They should be reliable and do the task they were paid to do but trust is another thing and I trust only myself, you should too.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    The best way to go would be introduce fool proof paper work and standard operating procedures.

e.g.
    The boat would require fuel every time it's taken out. Calculate the fuel. Dip tests are good if its an old boat.
    Have stickers on the boat mentioning that client's should always ask for receipts.
    Employees should not have the authority to use the boat until authorised by you in writing.
    Give one of the employees an opportunity to steal and grill him hard. Get him into jail and really really burn him. Make an example and other employees would be scared.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Well, for starters you need to change the whole team. I think they now have told each other how you guys do not really care much about the business so they are taking advantage. You can simply appoint one of your family members to be the manager of the business. Or else it will be a wasted investment.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I really do not have a problem trusting any of my employees. I establish from the jump what I expect and in terms of honesty and i do it firmly. I will tolerate anything less.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    One of the reason some people choose freelancing and not working in a group and organization is due to trust and integrity issues. I know of someone who got fed up with being lied to and suffering loss of money that he quitted his job. It's a real blessing if you have employees who are both hardworking and honest.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I've had to face a few similar scenarios in my short stint as a business owner, by which I mean I have caught a few employees stealing goods for sale. I don't think it's entirely avoidable, especially when you are only a small business and employees aren't too intimidated by the size and reach of a company, but I think just changing up the structure and taking immediate action should suffice for the meantime. Eventually I did land some employees who have proven to be trustworthy and I think that trial and error and not giving up or losing hope too soon is just the best way to go about it.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I learnt the hard way that you should never trust anyone but yourself. This is your business, thus your money that is at stake, not theirs. An employee will never care as much as an owner about the business they work for. Always have multiple people checking other staff member's work/claims.

Share on facebook