Thread: Something small

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Something small
    Hello! I am a college freshman and I am not allowed to have a job. According to my father, if he is going to pay for my college, I have to focus on my work. I have to pay for my own gas so I do yard work and small jobs around the house to earn money. I really want to find a way to make money elsewhere. I never have anything extra to spend or save. I would like to start a very small business or partake in an online job. I was curious if anyone had any advice for me to start my endeavor with. Any sort of reply would be very appreciated! Thank you so much.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Firstly, I'm glad to hear that your father wants you to focus on your studies and that he'll pay for you to do so. However, if you won't get into trouble for doing some paid work when you have time, and still putting school first, there are many ways to make money online. The trouble with starting a small business in your situation is that it can require your time and attention on a regular basis, and not just when you can spare a few hours here and there. If you can work during the vacations, you could of course do yard work, wait tables or be a lifeguard full time over the summer, for example. Before and during Christmas and New year retail stores always need extra staff too.

But if you can only put in a small amount of work when school is quiet, and then have to drop your job when preparing for exams or finishing assignments, there are online gigs that might suit you. If you can write articles, blog posts, press releases etc for other people, for example, you can always get work through various forums such as the Warrior Forum or Wickedfire. They don't pay a huge amount per article, but if you're w fast writer you can do OK, and there are always people looking. There are also sites like Textbroker, iWriter, and Scripted where you can pick up writing assignments, and also Freelancer, oDesk and eLance where are are jobs for writer and also for people such as web designers, video or audio editors, programmers, marketing consultants and lots more. Fiverr and similar gig sites can also be a place to pick up work as and when you have time, but can't commit to an ongoing job.

So, think about the types or work you can do, and that you enjoy doing, and maybe you can get some online gigs to help pay for some fun things! Then you could start a real business after you graduate with a great degree.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I would also recommend blogging. You can do it on your free time, you can blog about things that interests you, and you can earn extra by placing ads on your blog site. Blogging will also help you improve your writing and research skills, help established yourself as an expert on something, help you meet new people and gain new connections that you may find beneficial after you graduate from college.

Also, If you decided to get a part-time job in freelance job sites like Elance or Odesk.com, having a blog can give you a competitive edge over other job seekers. You can include it in your online portfolio as reference when a prospect client wants proof of what you can do online.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Depends on what is your expertise. Are you good at selling? Or programming? Or blogging?

If you do not have an expertise, then maybe you would want to find where your passion lies. Starting a business is not easy. You might want to perhaps do some part-time tutoring instead.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Freelance writing is something that might be good for you. This is of course assuming that you can write properly, and are interested in it. Not only will it bring in a bit of money (not a lot though) it will also help you with your vocabularly etc. which could always be handy at school.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Before we can help you, you'd have to tell us where your passion lies. Venturing into the business or freelance market for solely the sake of making money won't do you any good. You won't be proficient at what you're doing unless you also have passion in it. Skills such as programming and graphic design are in high demand, but they're also high in supply. You're going to be competing with people who have been practicing these skills for years. So I hope you can understand that it won't be as simple as you think.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    When I was still in school, I have been in the same situation like you and I know that I really cannot go anywhere else because of my studies and my family knows when I am supposed to be back home - but because of my sincere desire to earn something for myself without asking any financial support from my family, I approached the management office and asked if there is a chance to work as a student assistant in the computer laboratory or library assistant, lucky me, they have given me the chance to be a compulab assistant and from there, I started maximizing my time in the school, during my break time, and some time after my class.

Maybe you can try this technique.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    You should be glad, first of all, that your father is paying for your college. It takes a huge weight off your shoulder. I'd recommend trying to make money online, Adsense is a great earner. I bring in around $2k/month with Adsense, which is definitely enough for your gas and other personal expenses. Any questions about Adsense, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    If you are a US citizen, you could do some work on Amazon Mechanical Turk. All the jobs are easy and some jobs pay as much as $50 to transcribe audio to text. Keep in mind that whenever you are skipping classes to do the work, you're doing it wrong. Your dad is right and in the end, your diploma will be the most important thing you have and it will make you waaaay more money than any online job will ever make you.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    A job or business is only good for you if you have the matching skills and the experience to deal with people on a daily basis. The internet is filled with freelancing jobs which allows you to learn while working. If you opt to do a small business you should find a field of interest that you are personally excited about doing. If you love gaming, you should sell and trade hardwares of computers, consoles, electronics and the like.

Share on facebook