Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Do you need to be super-outgoing to succeed in MLM?
    Someone I know recently asked me if I thought she should join a well-known MLM program that sells health and weight loss products. She is very knowledgeable about health, nutrition and related areas, and has also worked in senior management positions in this field for several years, so she does know the world of business. The thing is, unless she's talking about finance, business or health issues she can be quite shy with people. You could say she loses her self-confidence and finds it hard to make small talk if she's in a "normal" social situation rather than in a business environment.

I have suggested she look at a slightly different way of making money using her healthcare expertise and business experience but she seems determined to give this big-name MLM program a try. I'm wondering if maybe she thinks it will make her a more sociable person, in fact!

My question is: do you think people who are not naturally bubbly and outgoing have a hard time in the MLM business, which seems to be more about persuading other people to join up than about the product on offer? Do you have any advice for my friend?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I think so. I don't think I could ever succeed at that type of thing because I'm not the type of person to walk right up to people and start talking. I tried to sell Avon once. I know it's a reputable company, but I had a hard time because I would get embarrassed or would feel awkward talking about the products. I know these programs can work, but I do think you have to be more of an extrovert and not very nervous or shy.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    You have to be annoyingly outgoing in the MLM business. It can be learned though, if you are an introvert wanting to be more outgoing then go for it. You never know, it could be your calling, doesn't hurt to try if the initial investment isn't outrageous.

Share on facebook

I make decent money on Cash Crate and pay for a number of things using gift cards I get on InstaGC. Feel free to check out my work online blog.

4. Collapse Details
    I say ... if she has the drive and commitment, give her a shot at this big-name MLM. By what you mentioned, she has a wealth of knowledge in the health and nutrition field, and has extensive management experience. That's a definite plus! Moreover, being an introvert may not be an issue at all working in an MLM. Introverts are (generally) polite, goal-oriented, deep thinkers and are very good planners. Your friend should leverage those characteristics, of which I believe she possesses, and go for it. She should also leverage the internet to "meet" potential customers and recruits, such as using Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube and other social media platforms.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    It depends. If you are on the top of the MLM business tree, then profits are easy as those under you would remit income without you doing anything at all. The problem lies when you are at the bottom of the structure of an MLM business as you would tend to do all the work and realize the least amount of profits as compared to the founders and those who are on top. If you are in the middle to bottom area, you really need to do a lot of sales pitch and sales talk in order for you to have a decent income. The problem is that people are easily turned off by you when you all you talk about is money this and money that. That's why aggressive people who are not business oriented fail to convince others to join or buy what they're selling.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Your friend might actually have an advantage because she is shy! Most people are just sick and tired of sellers banging down their doors and telling them to buy this or that. They are tired of loud voices and pompous words coming from two bit sellers. I know I am sick of them and I haven't been in contact with them so much. If it were me I would prefer talking to a down to earth person, someone that knows what she/he is talking about and doesn't try to sell me some lies about features that a product doesn't actually have. If your friend starts learning the business, its products and figures out the best part of each product, she has a chance.

She needs to know about the bad and good things of each product in the business. This way she can tell the truth to any potential customer. She shouldn't lie about anything and if she is not sure about something she should say so. Not all people will be pleased with her but not everyone can like us. Some people will like her way very much and appreciate the fact that she is truthful and seems to look out for their best interest not just for hers. Do you see where I am going? She should position herself totally differently than her coworkers. She should have a UPS (Unique Selling Proposition) that says something like: I place your interests above mine!

So I think anyone can make it in MLM, no matter how shy! Good luck to her and please tell us how it goes!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I don't think that you have to be overly out going to succeed in MLM, I think that you have to be of good character and trust worthy. But being out going is for sure a plus. I honestly believe that anyone can do well in MLM they just need to have the right attitude and mind set. And as mentioned becoming out going can b a learned thing... I would suggest that your friend gives It a good honest try. I think she could do well! Best of luck

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    To me personally, if you know and believe all the products that you are selling, you are as good as an outgoing person and will most likely succeed in an MLM business. Sometimes, being so outgoing also has some dis advantage. People can get annoyed easily and sometimes, they do not want products to be introduced to them when they are not interested. So, in my personal opinion, rather than wasting time to be an annoyingly outgoing person selling products or recruiting down lines, just focus yourself to any one who shows interests and make a convincing sale (or recruit).

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I think some people have made some really good points in this thread.

I can see how MLM would help a shy person break out of her shell. I know waiting tables helped me become a lot less shy. I was forced to communicate with people who I didn't know on a constant basis, which is something that I was NOT used to. Although I am glad that I no longer wait tables, I have to say that being less shy has stuck with me to this day.

I do also think that some people would get along better with and potentially even be more swayed by those who are a little less pushy. I get really irritated with people who demand that I buy something and basically refuse to take no for an answer. Some buyers might be happy to deal with someone who is more soft-spoken.

I guess I recant my original response...sort of. I still think she has to WANT to branch out a little bit. Those who are truly miserable about talking to others probably won't do well in the MLM business.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses to my question about my shy friend who wants to try multi-level marketing. She says she really wants to give it a shot, and that she's enthusiastic about talking to people about ways they can improve their health and possibly make money at the same time. So perhaps this is the boost she needs to make her a more socially conversant person - in other words being able to talk about subjects she knows well, but often in a more social setting.

I also pointed out to her that she should think about using some of her many business contacts to expand her downline too - as pointed out above, this can be key to making good money in MLM. There are always people out there who do MLM purely as a business and don't focus on the product, and she will probably find that she has former colleagues, clients etc. who are also moving on from their jobs and looking for new ventures.

Share on facebook