Thread: A local store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    You want your family's store to become the focal point of the village - somewhere where people know they can get information about what's going on in the community, run into people they know, and have a friendly conversation with staff (lots of lonely people out there!), as well as buy all the items they need for their daily lives. For example, you could have:

- A noticeboard near the entrance for flyers, private buy and sell ads, event notices, etc.

- If you have the space, a few tables and chairs (inside or outside) where customers can relax, chat with other shoppers, drink coffee, homemade iced tea or lemonade, etc. Sell these drinks for a reasonable price (or even offer them free - maybe against coupons that you place in the local newspaper, or online - for a limited period after you open, to draw people to your store)

- Space permitting, a small outdoor play area for kids

- In addition to friendly, courteous help with loading bags in customers' cars, you could offer a delivery service for customers who are old, sick, or who simply can't get to you. This could be, say, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, and they would have to order in advance so that bags are packed and ready for multiple deliveries on each trip. This wouldn't be a costly service for you, but would make for very good community relations.

- A special ordering service that allows your customers to order anything from your suppliers' lists (specific cuts of meat, for instance)

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I think Id need to know more about the nature of the store before I'd recommend building a website. If it's something along the lines of a convenience store or a bodega, then I'd say you're actually probably better off without it. That type of local business, especially in a small-town environment, is best advertised on a local level. Word of mouth and strong customer satisfaction will be key for you.

That being said, I think it sounds like a great idea to take advantage of the demand for that type of business in your town. Best of luck to you and your parents!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by oregano View Post
    - If you have the space, a few tables and chairs (inside or outside) where customers can relax, chat with other shoppers, drink coffee, homemade iced tea or lemonade, etc. Sell these drinks for a reasonable price (or even offer them free - maybe against coupons that you place in the local newspaper, or online - for a limited period after you open, to draw people to your store)
    I really like this idea! Most cold drinks such as cans of soda etc. (as well as small snacks) can probably be bought from the shop itself but having some warm drinks, even just coffee and tea, are great ideas. If possible put the tables down in an area where the customers have a chance to chat with the people working there!

And while you should charge something for the coffee, free coupons are a great idea. I already suggested an opening even but this would definitely be a good longer term solution.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I think in a place like that, word-of-mouth is the best advertising you will find. Great customer service goes a long way in a small town or village. I live in a small community, and people are very loyal to one particular store, because they have become friends with the owners/operators. They are such nice people, that I would feel guilty sending my business elsewhere. I know that they had a party when they reopened (long story) and had a big BBQ for the community. Everyone loved it and their store was busy all day!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Wow! I am amazed by all of the information provided here. Thank you guys so much, I'll be sure to show this thread to my parents. They might be experienced, but I'm sure they'll learn something new. Thanks once more guys!

Share on facebook

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

- Collin Powell

6. Collapse Details
    Thrix, I'd suggest a mixed advertising strategy. One part local, and the other one online. For local advertising, you may use flyers, and providing a good service will give you word-of-mouth advertising. Talking about online strategy, you'll firstly need a website, once you have it in place and working, you can also use Google Adwords, social media, or search engine optimization. The cool thing is that in your local advertising, you can also promote your online presence (your website), for example, including your website and corporate e-mail address on your flyers, and this will give your business a better image.

I wish you good luck!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Some ads on the popular website like Youtube, Facebook and ppc on the famous blogs of your same niche are helpful for you for increase your small retail industry.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    In small towns, I think the most important thing is to become part of the community and be personable with the customers, as you can get known and frequented in places like these with just word of mouth. Of course, a lot of online marketing would also help, but I think just making the store enticing with bright signs and colors would be good enough to attract some attention and potential customers. I'd advise just making the shopping experience as comfortable as possible by striking a good balance between having a welcoming atmosphere but still not feeling too intrusive.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    First of all i want to say that nothing is small and big in business. You can start small business and from small business you can grow up after sometimes and you will have big opportunity for your business to grow up. If you want to advertising of your business then always choose social media platforms like facebook,twitter,G+ etc.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    yeah best way to sucess is fiverr where you find anything for your business

Share on facebook

Leo Privacy Guard v3.0, The number 1 privacy app in the US right now!