Thread: A local store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A local store
    Hey everyone. My parents are opening a local goods market, and I'd like to help them.

Since we are living a pretty small village (around 2 500 people) it won't be a big store. They will not be specializing in any specific market niche, but they will be selling overall goods (everyday stuff, drinks, candies, cosmetics, etc.). Are there any advices I should tell them? Anyone had any experiences? How to make a successful launch to kick-start the business, discounts or how?

The store has a pretty nice location, so people will be coming, but they want to maximize the earnings (they want people to come for bread and go home with a full cart).

And about advertising, website or offline advertising? Or both?

Thanks in advance for answers!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I too live in a small community. We have only 1 local convenience store that sells everything (and I do mean everything!). The closest store is a 10 minute drive, but even though the prices are a little higher, if there are just a few things I need, I will go the the local convenience store. A 4 liter jug of milk costs $1.25 more at the local store, but I don't mind paying extra because of 2 reasons. 1 - it is close, and I like to shop local whenever possible. 2 - The people who work there are super friendly! They take the time to get to know their customers, and engage in REAL conversation. Not just "How's the weather", meaningless chit-chat. They remember everyone's name, and their spouses and children. They don't ask if you want help with your bags out to the car, they just do it and they remember if you usually have it put in the front seat or the trunk. They recognize you outside of the store, and take the time to say hello.

I don't know if they ever put items on sale, and I really don't care because I would go there whether I could save money or not.

Having a website and spending money on advertising might not be a bad idea to make people aware of your shop and get customers in the door initially, but customer retention should be your biggest concern. Find ways to make them want to come back again. Sales may or may not do it, but excellent customer service will work every time.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Well Thrix, as it seems, you've already tackled one of the most important ingredients to having a successful small retail store. That is the location itself. The wonderful thing about small communities is that when something new opens up, everyone has to check it out. It's just human nature. The main thing I would advise for you to do, is provide extremely excellent customer service. Help them out to their cars, help them in the store, etc. Also, hear what your customers say. Obviously, you should have some type of "Grand Opening" banner and possibly even a sign holder for the store throughout the first week or two. But make sure you treat each customer like a king or queen. In a small community you need your consumers to return to be successful. So cater to every little bit of their needs. You'll start becoming more personal with each individual customer, and you'll find out what their own particular needs are. This is great, because then you can really start focusing on how to maximize your profits by what items the customers need or want.

Hope this helps.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    My family runs a small painting business. The absolute best form of advertising is anything local.
    Hold some kind of cookout that puts the business at the center of it. Advertise in your local paper every chance you get. Put up fliers about different specials and events you might be having.
    Also you could definitely use a website. Even if it is local, using social media will be really handy.
    Your best bet would be to hold some kind of grand opening party.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I'd go with local advertizing since it's a small community. Internet marketing is more usefull for a business that sells globally or at least on a large scale. Then again social media can be useful since you can target that at the community, for example post something on the city's facebook page etc.
    Newspapers, maybe some sort of opening event etc. would be the best bet though.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    You and your family should utilize all forms of advertising that you can pay for or you can avail for free. Since kick-starting a business is one of the trickiest steps in making a successful business, depending on your budget, you should advertise maybe on your local paper, radio, television, tarpaulin advertisements, hand out coupons, use social media networking sites such as Facebook and the like. You could also spread the word through word of mouth, posting fliers in your house or around your store and other simple tricks to boost advertisement and for people to know your business exists.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    It's best to create a Facebook page or a group page for your business these days. Then invite all the people in your community to join it so they're aware of your business' existence. You can always go for the whole traditional fliers advertising as well.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jfab View Post
    It's best to create a Facebook page or a group page for your business these days. Then invite all the people in your community to join it so they're aware of your business' existence. You can always go for the whole traditional fliers advertising as well.
    Very good advice to start to get people to know your business. Also provide a coupon or something to get more people to the store in the first place. Maybe even think of a system that awards frequent shoppers. Locals will love that.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Do they have any competition locally with the same products? If so, figure out what the competition is doing right, and do that. And figure out what they're doing wrong, and fix it for your family's store.
    Start searching for the best business to business deals for goods you'll be distributing, and while you're starting out, try not to get roped into long term contracts with any goods suppliers until you start learning what sells best in your area.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Your best bet is to do both! The internet is AMAZING for advertising! With all the social media sites even, they are free and you can get your business out there no problem! Also great to put it on google ads!!! Flyers and things like that always work well out in the real world!

Share on facebook