1. Collapse Details
    Selling Antiques
    Hello everyone, do you think buying and selling antique items online is lucrative? I am planning to start an online business related to this, but I am worried about the delivery process. I once bought some books from Amazon and it took sometime for it to be delivered, I wonder what if the items to be shipped are antique and fragile items. Should I insure the items in case something happens? Any thoughts about this? thank you.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, if you're sending out old, fragile items that presumable are quite valuable you should definitely have them insured during shipping. Are you talking about large pieces such as furniture, paintings or big ceramics, or would you be selling small items that are relatively easy to pack securely, such as jewelry, small ceramics, old coins, pens, silver ornaments etc.?

Then there's the question of whether to charge the buyer separately for insurance, on top of shipping, or if you can get a blanket insurance policy for your company and adjust each customer's shipping fee accordingly. That's something you would have to investigate, and it would depend in part on what you're selling, and where and how you're shipping it. For example, if you're sending a container full of large pieces from one country to another, you just insure the whole container and everything in it.

One another thing: if you're making a business out of selling antiques, make sure you know what you're talking about, and that the items really are what you describe them as - otherwise you could encounter legal problems down the line! Careful wording of your product descriptions, basically, as well as good sourcing!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Hi oregano, thank you for a very well thought reply and it really made me re-think about my intentions. I am currently based in the middle east and there are tons of small antiques and unique items that I can sell. Describing the product is not a problem because it is already available (the history behind the item, etc). To insure or not, to cover it in a blanket insurance or pass it on to the client.. these are the things that I really need to think about some more.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    People like to look at and touch antiques before they buy them. Unless you are a licensed antique seller and have a lot of contacts in the business, people are not going to take your word for it. They want to by real, old stuff and not something that is crafted in China and made to look like something of a 100 years old.
    I think it's best to advertise on the internet and use your website only as advertisement because people will really want to come and have a look at the items first.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Yes. That is a pretty lucrative business. I think you should get insurance for antique items as they are very fragile. Delivering and shipping them is definitely not a good idea. I personally think the customers should get it themselves if it were possible but for international customers maybe first class shipping and other high priority shipping is required for these types of goods.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    It may also depend on your home country as well as the country of your customers. There are countries who are rather strict when it comes to the entry and exit of antique items. Aside from reading books on the process to do this, you may want to actually check at your local customs office on the policy on this. You may also want to read about the process within the country of your target market.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I think it just depends on your niche. Antiques is a rather broad category. Some antiques sell for a high price while others can be worthless.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    This is good idea since I have noticed that this kind of business is not so often doing online. Maybe if you will start yours probably you will get a lot of money but ofcourse part of business is to have ups and downs. For fragile items, it actually depends on your proposal. Thanks

Share on facebook