1. Collapse Details
    Business Forming Fees... Can They Be Written Off?
    Ok so the jist of it.... I paid my fees on 12/9/13 but the business wont actually form until 2014. These fees were for LegalZoom.com and Google Apps for Business

#1 - Can these fees be written off?
    #2 - Can these fees be used since they are from 2013?

Note: I am referring to 2014 taxes as I will not file 2013 taxes for the business because it will form in 2014.

Share on facebook

Last edited by rmnesbitt; 01-26-2014 at 04:04 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure whether this is something you can write off. I would go find out about this by talking to an accountant because I have never heard people can actually write off a business forming fees. I would assume that any fees cannot be written off because this is something you must pay and can not be written off. Talking to the accountant would give you a better answer about this particular questions.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Business forming fees are absolutely an eligible business expense! The fees required to start a business, such as accounting, legal, website registration, etc., are legitimately for the business, and not for any other purpose. You can also include the eligible 2013 expenses in the 2014 calendar year, depending on what your fiscal year is. Your fiscal year can be any 12 month period, which may or may not be the same as the calendar year. My employer's fiscal year for example, runs July to June of each calendar year. So the expense of December 2013 and January 2014 could be in the same fiscal year, if not the same calendar year.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I believe that you can claim expenses in the year that your business is formed, but I'm not sure about a year prior. I doubt it. You can call the IRS or a tax professional to make sure.

Share on facebook