Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    When I used to work from home, it'd be whenever I had time. I'd try to set myself a schedule, but didn't always need to put work first, so I wasn't always following that schedule.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    This depends on the kind of person you are. I hate schedules and always will, so when I don't set one, I tend to work more. When I have the freedom to make a choice, my business does better.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I work out of my home. I keep a semi-strict working hours. One of the best benefits of working at home is that I can be flexible with my work schedule. I do believe that I would get more work done if I kept to a set schedule, but I would be a lot less happy.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I live alone and I work from home. I don't technically have to, but I try to keep my schedule as close to regular as possible. It's because I usually have the best mood and mindset in the morning, so I try to finish bulk of my work before lunch time comes. That way, I'm not too pressured in the afternoons and I can calmly and leisurely finish my work.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I think you hit on something Bizwiz... A person's like/dislike of a schedule will really play a big role here. I'm currently trying to work out my schedule again with clients. Things change so much for me in the WAH world that this alone can be difficult LOL

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I know it can be tempting to be a bit lazy when you have your own home business. Since you are the boss now, there is need to set rules on how you can work well and make sure that the business actually performs to good returns. Once you lead as an example, am sure your employees will also be motivated to work hard. I agree it is important to have strict working hours.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Time Mgmt
    I think that strict hours are dependent on what you do. Yet, you mainly want to make sure you are balancing everything. Today, I am staying up late as the kids were home from school due to snow. Yesterday, I woke up early and worked. Tomorrow.... I will sleep most of the day away! This is the freedom I enjoy now. However, as business needs come sometimes I won't sleep for more then a few hours and have to catch up. Oh the good ole days of 9 to 5, what a way to make a living! Good luck!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I have worked from home for the past 10 years now -- at first as an employee, where I had set hours, and now as a combination of employee/employer. I have two hours that I absolutely have to be sitting in front of the computer for (working for my employer) and the remainder is "my" time -- as long as I get everything done, I'm good.

I have client meetings that I attend in town, but most of my clients are outside of my direct area. What I've found helps me to ensure everything gets done is to create a task calendar. I have two copies of the month of February on my bulletin board -- one that shows when things are due, and one that shows when I've scheduled those tasks to be completed. I have a wide variety of clients so I find this the easiest way.

I agree with other posters, about having flexible hours being one of the big benefits of working from home. It takes a lot of determination and gumption to work from home, as you do not have someone else looking over your shoulder ensuring that you get things done.

On the same topic though, how many other work-from-home people get lonely during the day?

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, I have assigned myself strict hours or else I wouldn't get anything else done. I'm the type of person who can get distracted quite easily and for that, I need to manage my time wisely since the business is still a start up, I like to get personal with the consumers and hear their feedbacks. I usually work when my customers are most active, that's usually in the evening around 4-5 till around 9 at night. Usually they're not very active in the mornings, and that fits in perfectly with my schedule since I have college and since I take mostly morning classes i'm usually free during the afternoon.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I work from home and my hours are relatively random. That is mostly due to the nature of the work that I do though. I would imagine if I had specific long projects that I had to work on it would be much more beneficial to have pretty standard work hours. I'm not sure I'm the type of person that would work on a standard pattern though.

Share on facebook