Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to work like the Japanese?
    It is known to the whole world how hard working, dedicated and committed the Japanese workers are. No wonder, they are among the economically strong nations on Earth. What are their secrets? What do they have in their culture that so many others don't have? Their motivation is work satisfaction and not necessarily monetary incentives.. why? Any thoughts on this?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    This is something that I haven't just found with the Japanese, it's Asians in general. I'm not sure what it is but it has to start when they're young. I personally think that a lot of Americans are lazy.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I am Chinese, and I can tell you that in China, it is taught to work hard to live well. In China, if you don't work hard, you wont keep a job. It's just a part of culture that's been around forever.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    All workers are treated like family. Here in America, there's often fights between workers (not often, but it happens), bosses don't care about any aspect of your life besides your work life. In Japan, however, the Unions and owners are always on the same page, workers are treated as a family, and they're always happy and motivated. I try and be a boss like this, it's not easy, but it gives good results.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Well actually, I thought that apart from being hard working, the Japanese tend to take their jobs so personally important that sometimes they would voluntarily resign if they themselves are not happy with the result of their work (at least to this extent). They take pride of their work and even sacrificing personal time and space without (their boss) even asking them. It maybe cultural, but I still believe there is something else that we have yet to discover.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I've always wondered about this too. But at the same time, I've heard so much about the dangers of how much and how hard they work themselves.
    There have been several documentaries and news reports about people dying there because they work extremely hard without sleeping enough or eating right. This deprives their bodies of the rest and nutrients they need to keep going.
    One guy died while at work. His heart just stopped and he collapsed.
    I believe in a good work ethic but not at the expense of my life or even time with my family. Having said all this, I'm not from there nor have I ever been to Asia. So this may be isolated and much more rare than I've been led to believe. But when I hear about Japanese or Chinese work ethic, that's exactly what comes to mind for me.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    They also put a lot of stress on people to succeed. Some people even kill themselves because they cave to the pressure. It is really sad. I think that their business skills are effective, but I'm not sure I would want to work in that kind of environment.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I think that the stress that Asian cultures have people place on themselves about work is ridiculous. However, at the same time, I also think that it's ridiculous that in America nobody really works hard anymore. It's almost like it's taken for granted that if you lose 1 job you can go out and find another 1 tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's not the reality of it though. Just take a look at the unemployment rate and you can see that for yourself.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    In my experience this is just a myth. All people are pretty simmilar. In every group culture nation you will find those hard working and those who are lazy

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wahmbrenda View Post
    I think that the stress that Asian cultures have people place on themselves about work is ridiculous. However, at the same time, I also think that it's ridiculous that in America nobody really works hard anymore. It's almost like it's taken for granted that if you lose 1 job you can go out and find another 1 tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's not the reality of it though. Just take a look at the unemployment rate and you can see that for yourself.
    In fairness to the Americans, I think they are more on discovery, invention, creativity and innovation. They are also very passionate about what they do and they do it best.

Share on facebook