Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay View Post
    This is something that I've never done, but I've always been interested in it. I've always wondered if "real people" (not super wealthy ones!) ever actually make money from owning stocks. I'm sure some do, but I'm just too scared to lose my little bit of money, so I never invest.
    Yes "real people" do it all the time! It's a common misconseption that the stock market is only for the wealthy. You can get started with pretty much any amount of money as long as you have a broker who does not charge an upkeep fee. However I'd recommend that you have at least $500 to start so the commissions won't hurt so much.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jubvman View Post
    Yeah I agree with you, scalping is definitely dangerous for anyone. As for the penny stocks, I wasn't quite sure how many companies became profitable enough to make it worth while so thanks for clarifying that.

I think the safest method for someone investing in the markets would be index funds like the NASDAQ, FTSE, DOW, NIKKEI etc.
    Pretty sure that penny stocks have more or less the same requirements with financial reporting so you can check out if a company you are interested in is profitable or not. But it's obvious that most small companies are high risk, high reward ones, at least compared to the industry giants.

Index Funds are a great idea! I don't know how I didn't mention it! Definitely worth a look for those who aren't too sure of themselves or who don't have the time to research a lot. Now might be a bad time to buy though since despite the not-so-great economy most indexes are at a very high point.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I have invested in stock market when I was in my college and I think that this was a very big task and need a lot of experiment and research for getting successful in this market and I hope that your guidelines and true and useful.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    Pretty sure that penny stocks have more or less the same requirements with financial reporting so you can check out if a company you are interested in is profitable or not. But it's obvious that most small companies are high risk, high reward ones, at least compared to the industry giants.

Index Funds are a great idea! I don't know how I didn't mention it! Definitely worth a look for those who aren't too sure of themselves or who don't have the time to research a lot. Now might be a bad time to buy though since despite the not-so-great economy most indexes are at a very high point.
    I'm not quite sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that big companies can't invest in stocks that are under $3 a share or something like that. If true, would be a great investment if someone could find a penny stock that's hovering around that mark which companies are just waiting to purchase.

I agree that index funds would probably be a bad idea to purchase at the moment, however I still wouldn't sell yet if I did have them in my portfolio. Seems like they always rise year after year.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I mean, I have money in hand, where do I go? I don't have a financial adviser. I want to know exactly what do I do and where do I go. Can I go directly to the company? To the bank? Step by step when I leave my house. Stocks for dummies. Thanks.
    NoLimitTexRefunds.jpg

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    You have to open up an account at a stock broker. You get software with which you can check out stocks and buy them. If you are new to this my advice is to learn before investing or just invest into Index funds and leave the money for 10+yrs!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Consult your bank and request for some financial advice. Usually, some bank offers investment related services and I am very sure that they could help you with it. If you are lucky, your bank is also operating a stock brokerage facility which will make your life easier (in stock market investing). Good luck to you!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I am young and the stock market seems like a great way to get your money working for you. but i cant help but to think that one day the economy is going to collapse and all the money that someone has invested will be gone

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    See Dinomarino, that's the scary thing. Our economy simply isn't what it used to be. It's gotten somewhat better in the last year but it's still struggling. Since the stock market is based on the economy, you'd be buying into something that I agree is going to eventually collapse. I wish there was a safe way to make my money work for me without taking such a gamble.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wahmbrenda View Post
    See Dinomarino, that's the scary thing. Our economy simply isn't what it used to be. It's gotten somewhat better in the last year but it's still struggling. Since the stock market is based on the economy, you'd be buying into something that I agree is going to eventually collapse. I wish there was a safe way to make my money work for me without taking such a gamble.
    The stock market won't collapse any time soon. It has mini-collapses, so to speak, and these are great opportunities for profits, when stocks lower in price during a mini-collapse. Only invest what you're willing to lose.

Share on facebook