Thread: Business

1. Collapse Details
    Business
    Hello, I'm a Minor and I want to start my own business.
    The question I have is; Will I be able to apply for a LLC, Business License, etc. as a minor in the state of California?
    I've been doing some research on it and I cant find any rules and regulations that i'd have to be 18.
    I don't want my Legal Guardian to have any relation in my business, but if its required, I will have no choice.
    Thanks in Advance.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Hi, there.

There is no age limitation on creating a company or LLC in CA or most states, except for the following: You're ability to enter into a contract is limited. A LLC, for example, if formed with other people requires an Operating Agreement, which is a form of contract by and between the owners or members. As a minor, you would not be able to sign the Operating Agreement.

Let me be clear about this: You can sign anything and everything you want, but the problem is the other signers to a contract wouldn't be able to enforce that contract as against you. You lack "capacity" to enter into a contract as a minor. Therefore, some vendors, partners, or whomever, may not consult with attorneys and may be willing to enter into contracts with you, but anyone with an attorney will require that you -- as a minor -- have a parent or legal guardian sign on your behalf.

Good luck to you! Larry.

Share on facebook

Laurence S. Donahue, Esq.
    Attorney & Founder
    Law 4 Small Business, P.C.
    http://www.L4SB.com/
    505-715-5700
    888.99.BIZLAW (888.992.4952)

3. Collapse Details
    It is required that you become a major to start the business and fulfill all the legal procedures.

Share on facebook