Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Employees and Personal Things

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Employees and Personal Things
    Do you block things like Facebook and Twitter on your computers?
    I know a lot of companies say they have had trouble with their employees using social media during work. How many of you have had problems with this?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I do not believe in having to block these sites. If you do this to your employees, it already creates a signal that you don't trust them well enough to know what to do during work hours. If you trust your employees, they will become more responsible at work.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I don't believe in blocking social networking sites. If it becomes a problem, meaning affecting work, then talk to them individually. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    As technology gets better and better, the traditional ways previously used to block certain applications on computers at the work-place, the network, etc may not work. If the app is blocked by a network administrator for example, a tech-savvy employee would you use a VPN to gain access to his social networks and you won't if he did that. What of them accessing the net using their devices? How would you stop that?
    Maybe, as Bizwiz1011, says, the only way to solve the problem if it does come up, you just have to talk to your employees and expect them to change [because you'll make it clear the disciplinary action will follow if. . .].

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    This is an extreme move to block Facebook and Twitter for your employees. Unless you are running a hazardous and extremely dangerous business which deals with utmost attention on what the employees should do or are working on, you shouldn't stop or block access of your employees to social media websites because it will seem to them like you are too authoritarian and we all know that authoritarian bosses do not make employees work hard instead they tend to slack of and do the minimal work they can since their boss is someone who hates fun.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with all of you. I feel it is a bit extreme. One of my friends owns a small business and he blocks Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit because he doesn't want his employees spending any time on those sites. I feel if they seriously can't lay off social media for a few hours they should look for other options.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Agreed, blocking access to certain sites from employees' computers sends the message that they can't be trusted to do their jobs when the boss isn't looking, so that doesn't make for a very happy, motivated workforce. This is a problem in many offices, however, as some people, especially the younger generation, seem to be simply addicted to Facebook, Twitter, email and whatever other social media-type sites they use. In addition, now that so many people use smartphones and small tablets, I'm not sure if an employer can block access to specific sites from these.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I think for most businesses, blocking social sites like facebook and twitter is unnecessary. Employees will probably get really irritated at this and it'll probably backfire, instead of making them work harder it will have the opposite effect. I would recommend talking to an employee privately if it becomes a problem for a certain individual.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Blocking social media sites almost always makes employees look for ways they can access them.
    Keep in mind that it takes double the amount of time for your employees to go to an unblocking site and then go to a social media site. So it's better not to waste your and their time and just don't block.
    You can also get a feel of which people waste their time on social media sites and filter them out.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    Blocking social media sites almost always makes employees look for ways they can access them.
    Keep in mind that it takes double the amount of time for your employees to go to an unblocking site and then go to a social media site. So it's better not to waste your and their time and just don't block.
    You can also get a feel of which people waste their time on social media sites and filter them out.
    Never actually thought about the unblocking thing. I can personally confirm this as I used to spend hours in school trying to unblock certain sites. I know work and school may be different things but I think the principle still holds true.

Share on facebook