Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I think it should all be blocked. It just gives your employee things to take the attention off of the task that needs to be done. If they cant have fun on the internet they are more likely to do a good job. I am a mean boss I must admit.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all your responses.

I was thinking the same thing about the phones. Honestly if I were addicted to social media (I'm not) and the company I worked for blocked them all, I would just pull out my cell phone and check them.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KNH View Post
    Thanks for all your responses.

I was thinking the same thing about the phones. Honestly if I were addicted to social media (I'm not) and the company I worked for blocked them all, I would just pull out my cell phone and check them.
    I would probably ban cellphone internet in the working place then because I am cruel

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    In general I believe no sites should be blocked from employees. If you want an employee to act as a professional adult, do not treat them as a child. Instead I would have an IT guy set up a program to notify you of when an employee is on social media sites and other non-business related sites. Just make sure the employees know about this program, and I guarantee it will work better than blocking them.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    If people blocked them, they would spend more time looking for ways around it. Just simply ask for them not to go on it and that if they want to waste there time on it and not complete work on time, they will be fired.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I think that it depends on the business. Are your employees sitting around waiting for a call or work? Let them browse the net, they don't have anything better to do anyway. But, if you get to the point where business is affected by the browsing habits of your employees, limit or cut their access. Obviously, companies handling sensitive information with strict security policies are gonna limit internet access by default.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Blocking social media websites from work computers is going to the extremes. If you can't trust your employee to do their job, why hire them? Sometimes there are fine lines that need not to be crossed.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sbatz72 View Post
    I do believe technology, not just Facebook and Twitter, is a great barrier in getting our work done. If we allowed our employees to have use of sites like Facebook and Twitter, they might not get any work done, or at least all of the work they are supposed to. This would be unproductive for the company. Time is money, and if we are not using our time wisely and wasting it, we are therefore wasting money.
    No, social sites should never be blocked, if you do so your employees will start looking for alternatives. Moreover if you think they will waste their time browsing updates and so on. Is there any one employee who works for complete 8 or 9 hrs in a day? Apart from lunch they go for tea breaks and additional breaks, no one can stop them for that. And of course, hanging with colleagues they spend some time. Each employee will know what time and till what extent they spend for all these stuff. At this era you block sites I feel itís meaningless. YOu may opt for restricted access and allow access during certain hours or so if you find it necessary to block them.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    One of my employees plays around on social media as much as he wants to. I tell new employees when they earn as much for the business as he does (and hes a top salesman) then they can f**k around as much as he does.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I think blocking such sites will surely create a negative impression about the company in the employees mind. So, talking about the usage will definitely make employees to understand in a better way and act accordingly. Or else having it as a companyís policy will help the employees to know well about the company in prior. But, blocking social media websites all of a sudden will make the employees to work in a negative manner than in the regular way.

Share on facebook