Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Depends entirely on what the job I need filled but generally I have one interview over the phone and another longer face to face before I make my decision. I find it helps to have more casual interviews, the candidates are usually more relaxed and you can really see what they are like compared to the usual formal interviews which I find to be too rigid and not good for actually determining what the employee will be like once he's in the job.
    It's important to take notes constantly, have a checklist of what you're looking for and what the candidate brings to the table through their application, phone interview and the face to face. This way you have a far better idea of who's the right candidate should you find them.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    First we have a quick interview by phone where I usually test the language skills then check some of the resume info. If I'm satisfied with what I hear we set a date for a face to face interview. When we're finally face to face I use a mix of standard questions with open discussion. While the standard questions help weed out some of the candidates the final choice I make is based on how they perform in the open discussion. If I'm hiring for a customer oriented job (for example support via phone) we roleplay some client-support situations to see how they handle interactions. Now, if I'm hiring for a more practical position where specific skills are required we may add some additional on the filed testing.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Since I'm running two small businesses from home and have two small children I conduct all preliminary interviews over the phone. For me this has worked out the best. I find my interviews are more efficient and more conducive to my schedule. I am nervous myself when talking to a new person so its easier for me over the phone.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I recommend you to conduct 2 sets of interviews.
    This first interview is done via the phone. This is your initial screening phase. Ask the candidates all basic questions that are important. Make sure that you have covered any basic questions and ensure that the candidate really does fit your requirements. This is to ensure that both of your time are not wasted; you would not want to invite somebody for interviews only to find out that he requires sponsorship, etc.
    The second one will be face-to-face interviews. This is where you would ask more technical stuffs and gauge how well will you be working together with the candidates. This is where you decide to offer the job or not.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I've never interviewed anyone, but just be casual about it. Ask the questions and really there is nothing to worry about, always remember they are the ones that are scared and nervous.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Your interview questions should all be just going word to word from a piece of paper/document. You can do some of the initial questions that are pre-made but I think each interview should be each unique so you get a better understanding of that person.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Just be yourself and act professional. Its as simple as that.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Ask unexpected questions. Many interviewees will have memorized or at least thought about how to answer stock questions. Instead of asking "What things are you good at?" ask "What inspires you?". Try to catch them off-guard, that's when you'll start to see their real personalities.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by M.K View Post
    Ask unexpected questions. Many interviewees will have memorized or at least thought about how to answer stock questions. Instead of asking "What things are you good at?" ask "What inspires you?". Try to catch them off-guard, that's when you'll start to see their real personalities.
    I agree! Everybody will prepare for easy questions, quick thinking can be seen with unexpected questions.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I haven't had to interview someone in a long time, but I remember something that really helped me was to make the interviewee comfortable. When someone is comfortable they'll give you the most honest answer. Ask them how they'd respond to situations, but make sure you don't get too familiar, because that can lead them down the path of making light of stressful situations. That's not fair to them at all. It would feel like baiting them into giving horrible answers.

Share on facebook