1. Collapse Details
    Ending my hauling company
    A few weeks ago I canceled the hosting for my hauling company and got myself off of Google Places and various other websites. Originally I had planned out to search for people in need of hauling and then put them into contact with a crew I had found on Craigslist. It would be mostly subcontracting and I was going to do very little physical work. Unfortunately the profit I was making was very minimal and not worth it at all. I was taking 10% of each job but each job was barely $100. In the end I was making less than minimum wage working this business. Kind of sad I had to let it go but it was a learning experience to not sell myself short!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmallBones View Post
    A few weeks ago I canceled the hosting for my hauling company and got myself off of Google Places and various other websites. Originally I had planned out to search for people in need of hauling and then put them into contact with a crew I had found on Craigslist. It would be mostly subcontracting and I was going to do very little physical work. Unfortunately the profit I was making was very minimal and not worth it at all. I was taking 10% of each job but each job was barely $100. In the end I was making less than minimum wage working this business. Kind of sad I had to let it go but it was a learning experience to not sell myself short!
    Are you certain it was not profittable? Have you thought about raising the percentage of each job? How many jobs did you do monthly?

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    It sounds like you had a lead generation business which is a great business. I am sorry to hear that you let it go. If you were able to generate leads in one area or city, you could set up the same in another city or multiple cities. That's how you make the big bucks.

The process or system that you set up is invaluable. If the hauling business was successful, then I would suggest trying about niche.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    You should try other jobs of subcontracting or even selling other goods. It's actually a good way to earn income but you have to plan it otherwise you will really end up in a not so good situation where you will only be earning spare change and below minimum wage which is awful. You should try other jobs or better yet find employment in your locality. There are good jobs out there for each person who is willing to do the work.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I agree that it sounds like you have a good business model, but you just need to scale it up, maybe expand it into other business areas or localities. If you know how to generate leads for other businesses you can do it in different geographical areas, say in a few niches that are transportation-related, and/or branch out into other niches in your own town - maybe add limo services, pest control, plumbers, construction, home remodeling, pool maintenance, lawyers, dentists, doctors, chiropractors and whatever other service sectors you can think of.

Go through your local yellow pages or other business directories and note down what kinds of businesses might be looking for customers. Approach a few in each niche, offer to find leads for them and negotiate a price per lead or per group or 10 or 20 leads. In many sectors you can get more than $10 - think about how much a new customer might be worth to them.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    First of all, kudos to you for coming up with a good idea and going along with it. Believe it or not, not many people are brave enough to actually implement their ideas to realizations. I am sorry to hear that it did not work out as how you hoped it would. Anyway, I believe the time you spent has let you gained a decent amount of experience for running your own business. With the right attitude, you should be able to come up with another plan to make your fortune.
    Cheers!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah. that was waste of time, but like you said. It is a learning experience. The more experience you gain the easier your next attempt will be. I wish you the best of luck.

Share on facebook

It's just business.

8. Collapse Details
    Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that your business didn't go well. Maybe you'll come up with a better venture soon.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Most recently, Carney Trucking Co. closed on July 31, according to Freight Waves. According to Business Insider, the company employed 25 drivers. The day before, on July 30, Terrill Transportation closed, putting 36 drivers out of a job.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Most recently, Carney Trucking Co. closed on July 31, according to Freight Waves. According to Business Insider, the company employed 25 drivers. The day before, on July 30, Terrill Transportation closed, putting 36 drivers out of a job

Share on facebook