Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is Your Family Supportive?
    I've always been business minded and I think I somehow always knew I wanted to get into business for myself as early as possible. My family saw this early on and always advised me to just get into employment after I graduate college.

I'm not saying they were totally not supportive of me trying to become an entrepreneur, but I'd say they were kind of clueless as to how to guide me since my whole family is comprised of employees. This sometimes made me wish that I had at least one entrepreneur in my immediate family so I would not have had to learn everything by myself, but I guess it could have been much worse. My family at least did the best they can, in that they would buy me business books on my birthday or Christmas.

How about you guys, were your parents or family members supportive of your decision to get into business for yourself?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    It may be harder for a family that doesn't have any entrepreneurs, they may just really not know how to be supportive! My husband is very supportive of me, however he does work and earn all the income needed to succeed in our family. My income is wonderful but a necessity. I think that really helps for him to support me. If I make no income that is ok. There are not a lot of people who can have this option so I am so very lucky to have this option! Just keep trying and make it work! Then they will be proud of you and learn that support is pretty easy once they are so very proud! It will take the scary and suspense out of the it for them and you! Just keep going! Good Luck!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Not at all supportive. Not only do my parents not know anything about running a business, but they could care less about mine. It doesn't bother me, because I don't feel like I need their support to succeed. They don't understand business, and that is ok.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    They're 100% supportive, and have supported me every step of the way. They even lend me money when I need it, and don't expect a repayment.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I started my business in 2008 at age 20, still living with my mom. She let me take over half the garage for my "warehouse", and always lent me an open ear. My dad was very gung-ho about the project in the beginning and even pledged money to help me get started, but once he realize how serious I was, he got cold feet and at the last minute (at the bank) drastically cut back the amount that he would lend me. It shook my confidence a bit, knowing that my own dad didn't believe in me enough to put more money into my idea. But I didn't let that stop me, and I have since repaid him plus plenty extra. The business has become quite successful over the past five years.

Just remember that you're doing this for you, not for someone else. This is about your own success. Find satisfaction in that first, and everything else will be icing on the cake.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    My family has never been supportive, and I'm not very close with them at all. In fact, I'm sort of embarrassed of how little they have accomplished, so it doesn't affect me at all that they think I'm wrong. It's been about 4 years since I started my own business, and they continue to harass me whenever I talk to them, but I choose to talk to them. My grandparents, however, have helped me with money and have been sort of indifferent, leaning towards a positive light.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I am lucky and my family would probably be supportive of whatever I chose to do (well, maybe not everything, lol).
    For those whose families aren't supportive and don't believe in them, that's what friends are for, right?

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Sadly, my family isn't really supportive of me when I declared that I wanted to be an entrepreneur. At the same time, I understand that they just want me to have a stable income and live a comfortable life. I guess I just have to prove to them that I have what it takes to succeed.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    My family is somewhat supportive in the sense that they do not care much what I want to do with my life but are pushing me towards something else especially my mom. To be a lawyer, which is really stressful since I'm about to graduate into a pre-law course and of course the option available for me would most likely be law school. I actually want to start a computer shop but my mom doesn't agree. Since I am a techie myself I feel sad not to pursue this path but pretty soon I think I will no matter what. I'm just trying to get my momentum in order for me to have a good start.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    They were reluctant in the beginning since I'm still a college student but I insisted that it would be a good opportunity for me. They were mainly afraid that I would drop out and if the start up failed then I wouldn't have anything to rely on. But here I am, studying and trying to continue my venture. My family now have helped me out with whatever they can, suggesting new ideas and strategies. I'm really glad that I have them.

Share on facebook