Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    As of now, I'd say that is pretty much the case, yes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that I do, but I definitely would love to be doing other things if only those things would pay as much as my current business. I've also gotten used to it over the years and I've learned to love it to some degree, but I am still hoping to transition into other, more fun things when or if the opportunity arises.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    As I've said elsewhere, I think the satisfaction of doing something to better this world should be the main goal. Whether it be by opening a pharmacy or a tailors, if it helps people get what they want with quality, then that's just awesome.

My honest opinion!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I started my first business for the money. I used my work experience to start the business. I really didn't like it. I knew the service was great and was needed, but I had no passion for it. I really didn't like my clients. They were healthcare providers (doctors and chiropractors). They were very slow to pay me and called me for stuff that was unrelated to by service.

I eventually farmed out my clients when a family member became terminally ill. I never went back to business. Someone tried to talk me into starting up again a few years ago, but I just can't do it. I could easily make 6 figures, but it's not worth it. I'm sure that I can do something I like or even love and make the same amount of money.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Truthfully yes. But I also wanted to own my own business because i wanted to be my own boss. There is nothing worse than having to answer to someone else. I wanted to be able to call the shots and make the decisions.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Honestly I wish I could have a business that fulfills me AND makes money. Unfortunately if I had to choose I would rather have a business for the money than the pleasure. I want to work to live not live to work

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with all that has been posted in this thread, but I also would just like to add that there are some businessmen who setup businesses not only for monetary gains, or prestige, some of them also have LEGACY in their minds. Imagine, the feelings when you could start a business that will outlast your life and your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and the future generations operating it and it is making sure that you will leave them with a much better life than you used to live before you started the business.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Never thought about legacy before, that is a great point that owesem75 made. I guess some people do create businesses because they want to have something that people would remember them for. If I were to create my own business I think that most important reason why I would do it is the freedom, I mean I would be my own boss, don't have to listen to anybody. I can't deny the importance of money in today's society so I guess the second most important reason would be money.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    Honestly I wish I could have a business that fulfills me AND makes money. Unfortunately if I had to choose I would rather have a business for the money than the pleasure. I want to work to live not live to work
    I like the "I want to work to live, not live to work" part very much since that's how I see things also. While I do agree that passion for what you do is great to have and makes work bearable I'm also trying to be a realist and think about the money too. Not just once in the past I found myself doing what I loved but getting little money in return. I was poor and the happiness of doing what I liked was waning. Now I'd just go for a business with high return rates and moderate involvement time since this way I can chase my passions too.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDontSleep View Post
    Never thought about legacy before, that is a great point that owesem75 made. I guess some people do create businesses because they want to have something that people would remember them for. If I were to create my own business I think that most important reason why I would do it is the freedom, I mean I would be my own boss, don't have to listen to anybody. I can't deny the importance of money in today's society so I guess the second most important reason would be money.
    Thanks for the shout-out! Actually, this legacy thing is of common to businesses in the far-eastern countries like Japan, China and South Korea. Look at Mitsubishi, Toyota, Daewoo, Samsung, etc.. if you will get to read their history, you will find some evidence that the founders of these companies wanting their businesses to run forever.. that's legacy for their family and the people who will patronize their products or services.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    I completely agree with your comment. I myself also wish the same, but it's not always possible as sometimes the businesses that we land on are ones that aren't exactly the most prominently noble, but I think as long as we do what we can do to make the business the best that it can be, then we do ultimately give back to the world regardless of what industry we are in. We must not forget that any business usually at the very least still provides jobs for people that they may otherwise not have had and in that case they may have easily just fallen into a different job with a much more horrible boss than any of us.

Share on facebook