Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    when hiring new employee - do you consider checking his FB account?
    Hello, I know checking someone's FB without his permission can be considered an invasion of privacy. However, I believe FB profile can represents the over all personality of anyone - do you or will you consider checking his FB page (with permission of course) as part of your recruitment process?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I know allot of employers who do... That's why I try to be careful what I post.. Especially if it had anything to do with going out or drinking or anything

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    You see a person is not as good as his Facebook account shows or not as bad as his wife believes

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Probably. People should know better than to post immature/inappropriate things by now. If the Facebook profile is public I'm not concerned about an expectation of privacy

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Realistically, yes you should check their Facebook accounts and make it a mandatory part of the application process. My belief behind this is that, while yes it is somewhat of an invasion of privacy, you need to acknowledge that once hired they are an entity of your company. A representative, more or less, and they reflect positively or negatively the publics view of your company. As an example, have you ever stopped going to a business on account of seeing the behavior of one their employees while they are off the clock? Sure they aren't getting paid to endorse your company while off the clock, but they can very easily lose you clientele. All-in-all, yes. It is very much worth it to check a prospective employee's Facebook page for an insight into their behavior, not only on the clock, but off of it also.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Now that you've mentioned it, That is a pretty good way to check whether or not the person is qualified for the job. Not only the qualifications but you can see by his posts if he has any, the way the person is or the attitude that He has. The post in his Facebook profile shows his interests, beliefs and other attitudes that you don't normally see in the actual workplace. And it would be best to have a head start in knowing your employees before it's too late.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by owesem75 View Post
    Hello, I know checking someone's FB without his permission can be considered an invasion of privacy. However, I believe FB profile can represents the over all personality of anyone - do you or will you consider checking his FB page (with permission of course) as part of your recruitment process?
    I know many employers check up on prospective job applicants via the web, such as FaceBook, to assist with the hiring process. That said, it's just prudent to not post offensive material on a FB page, such as a picture of that individual totally drunk and naked, or references to drug use or the heavy consumption of liquor. Bottom line, public information is public information. So based on such offensive info from the FB page, employers can/should reject that individual's job application.

Share on facebook

Last edited by gHiros; 02-04-2014 at 02:30 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    I do because I work in the IT field of business. If someone is not even able to secure their account, they are not worthy of working for me. I might ask them about it to see what they have to say about it but this day and age, everyone should be very cautious about online privacy.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    No, I would not check or make it a requirement for hiring. It's not about privacy or other reasons, if it's on facebook it's not private anyway, but because I won't risk loosing a potential good employee over some not so flattering pictures from his or her weekend. I'm knowledgeable enough to check the person thoroughly during the hiring process, and if the job is performed as required why should I worry about elements of personal life?

We also have to keep in mind that the hiring process has become too convoluted as it is, with checks and plenty of interviews or requirements, why add one more layer of complication in the process by checking facebook? And soon, as the kids grow up and become responsible adults/employees, think of all the things we'll find about them that are not relevant anymore.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Seems to be done thing now and to be honest it makes me cringe that people actually do this. I mean what do they expect to find out really? That someone likes to go for a drink and post their status saying they live inside a box; To me that shows a sense of humour. I'm not a big FB fan anyhow and twitter would be more my thing - I'm very aware of what I say and just resist the urge.

Share on facebook