Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    No, I would not check or make it a requirement for hiring. It's not about privacy or other reasons, if it's on facebook it's not private anyway, but because I won't risk loosing a potential good employee over some not so flattering pictures from his or her weekend. I'm knowledgeable enough to check the person thoroughly during the hiring process, and if the job is performed as required why should I worry about elements of personal life?

We also have to keep in mind that the hiring process has become too convoluted as it is, with checks and plenty of interviews or requirements, why add one more layer of complication in the process by checking facebook? And soon, as the kids grow up and become responsible adults/employees, think of all the things we'll find about them that are not relevant anymore.
    Nice name. But please refer to my aforementioned point. Your customer's view your employee's as a representative of your business. And it would be very helpfully insightful to get a MUCH better idea of how they act outside of the work place through viewing their FB. Don't just shoot down the idea, you never know what you could find and it's wrong of you to shoot yourself in the foot over something you definitely could have saved money on by hiring someone else. Plus you have to keep in mind that longevity in the workplace is far far much less of a thing nowadays then it has been in the past. Employee's are ALWAYS switching hands. I don't know. Try it for yourself some time. You'd really be amazed.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I personally think it's a great idea. Obviously, don't dig too much and judge them on things they may have done like 5 years ago, but definitely look at their recent stuff. If they don't have their profile private they obviously don't care who looks at their stuff! Although a lot of people participate in things that might not respected, you have to make sure you don't judge the person by what they believe, (Example if you are a christian and this guy you are going to hire likes to have a drink) It's socially accepted so you need to be careful with stuff like that. But if you want someone reliable and all this person seems to do is drink three days of the weekend then maybe this person isn't the best for you!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Yes I would, and I wouldn't even consider it an invasion of privacy. I think we take advantage where we can get it, and since it's an available feature it would be wise to use it, in my opinion. It's not like people expect FB to be that private anyway, and furthermore, if they were to join my company then their public behavior would totally be my concern. I would not want to hire someone only to find out that they talk terribly online which then would reflect on my company, and by then it might be too late and my name would be tarnished. That's just my opinion on it, anyway.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Taru View Post
    Yes I would, and I wouldn't even consider it an invasion of privacy. I think we take advantage where we can get it, and since it's an available feature it would be wise to use it, in my opinion. It's not like people expect FB to be that private anyway, and furthermore, if they were to join my company then their public behavior would totally be my concern. I would not want to hire someone only to find out that they talk terribly online which then would reflect on my company, and by then it might be too late and my name would be tarnished. That's just my opinion on it, anyway.
    Completely agreed. I must be honest and say I really care about my business in the first place and the employees privacy in the second. I will take any source of information and check it out because my employee might be in charge of things important in my business. Why risk it ?

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    wow! so many response and it seems that YES (to check) is gaining a lot of support and I can read so many good points in their reasoning. On the other hand, the NO (not to check) vote despite small in numbers has presented a very good argument and I am sure many HR experts would intervene. When I say HR, I mean Human Resources experts and not HUMAN RIGHTS watchdog... LOL.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by owesem75 View Post
    wow! so many response and it seems that YES (to check) is gaining a lot of support and I can read so many good points in their reasoning. On the other hand, the NO (not to check) vote despite small in numbers has presented a very good argument and I am sure many HR experts would intervene. When I say HR, I mean Human Resources experts and not HUMAN RIGHTS watchdog... LOL.
    But their points are invalid! You can't tell me that someone's FB page isn't an accurate gauage of someone as an employee and representative of their company. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have a FB page to represent themselves on the Internet! (;

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Checking any online social networking site or blog or personal website is not an invasion of privacy. If you have the sense to put yourself out there, then you must have the ability to acknowledge that anything you put on the Internet is ready and available to either the general public, advanced technically inclined individuals, or the government. It should reflect who you are in every sense. If you are ashamed of your online doings.... perhaps you should stop doing it! I personally like to be transparent.... dirty laundry and all! However, above all else do not trade your professional or personal Integrity. It may just cost you an opportunity you would have been perfect for!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Personally, I would be happy if my employer is snooping around my personal life. FB account has a lot of personal information which I alone should access. Remember, most companies normally have most social media accounts blocked from their office internet. This just shows how the social media networks are irrelevant to most companies when hiring a person.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I feel like most people now a days should assume that an employer will try to check their social media profiles. Everyone has an online identity these days, so its not out of the ordinary for an employer, who will be placing trust in this worker, check out their FB page. It might give a little bit more of a personal look at the lifestyle and interests of the employee, but i also feel that it could be crossing the line a bit. Either way, probably not a good idea to post bad things on facebook if your looking for a new job!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I agree that these days, you should expect a prospective employer to check your social media profiles as part of their due diligence on a person who might be working in their organization. This is public information, after all. It's like a preliminary reference check that in many ways makes if easier for an employer to screen candidates before even meeting them. However there is always a danger that the person doing the screening could be too easily put off by seeing information or behavior that he disagrees with, and the company could miss out on hiring an otherwise suitable candidate.

So it's best to keep your Facebook and other social media accounts "clean" if you're looking for a job. Some people don't think about the fact that employers might "friend" you on FB, or have someone else do it, in order to access your "exclusive" information, so beware!

Share on facebook