Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
when hiring new employee - do you consider checking his FB account? - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It's not like everyone is on FB. What if you're not on FB, would saying that make your likely employer question your honesty and indirectly affect your chances of getting hired?

p.s It's not that FB doesn't count. I got my first job because I mentioned on an FB status update that I was. . ."X" [X referring to what I was qualified to do].

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Correct. I do not care what a person does on Social Media as long as what they do is not going to compromise their work for me or the image of my business in a negative way.
    The text that I bolded is the reason why I would check someone's social media account. Once you hire someone, that person represents your business, you need to be careful in that respect. Also, it's only a violation of the person's space and own life if they have there profile set to private.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by owesem75 View Post
    Hello, I know checking someone's FB without his permission can be considered an invasion of privacy. However, I believe FB profile can represents the over all personality of anyone - do you or will you consider checking his FB page (with permission of course) as part of your recruitment process?
    I know that I and a lot of other large businesses do this and sometime facebook is a big determiner of whether the person gets the job or not. It's kind of scary when you think about it and it makes you think a hundred times before you actually post anything on any media site. I know people who have been fired over something that they said of facebook and kids to that have been suspended from school.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    It is usually only for formality. I do ask for their permission that I am going to conduct a general check of their Facebook account. More often than not, how they act in social networking site reveals more characters about an individual compared to the interview process itself. As long as they do not post any indecent stuffs that I feel could affect his performance later on, I would let it slide. I do know some employers who take Facebook accounts very seriously though, it would be best to control whatever you want to post in social networking sites.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    No, I would not check or make it a requirement for hiring. It's not about privacy or other reasons, if it's on facebook it's not private anyway, but because I won't risk loosing a potential good employee over some not so flattering pictures from his or her weekend. I'm knowledgeable enough to check the person thoroughly during the hiring process, and if the job is performed as required why should I worry about elements of personal life?

We also have to keep in mind that the hiring process has become too convoluted as it is, with checks and plenty of interviews or requirements, why add one more layer of complication in the process by checking facebook? And soon, as the kids grow up and become responsible adults/employees, think of all the things we'll find about them that are not relevant anymore.
    Strongly believe in what you said there Alec. The hiring process is already an extremely staged process. With one interview two interview and then a demo and then the decision to hire. Things that won't really effect the performance of the employee should not really be worried about during the hiring. What my employees choose to do outside of work is their business, but if they fail to perform or I suspect that they are under the influence during the job, its as easy to just fire him/her.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    No, people act different at work and if their just with friends and family. Their personal behavior have nothing to do with their professional behavior. Like what Alec and Nerohs said, Im not going to risk losing a potential talent just because they like to have fun in their personal life. If they're not doing so good with what they're doing whatever his reason is, then that only means they dont deserve the position and I can replace him whenever I want.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    When I worked a little time at a newsagents, I would have hated it if I had been judged due to my facebook account. It sounds stupid, I know, but there was a lot of people looking to get that job, and the owner was strict on who got it. I think that private lives are not a good way to judge someones personality.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I don't agree, I think that a person personal business is that of their own, I mean sometimes certain things get tag to people pages and it not their fault. Moments on face book are just for social and having fun. Judging a person by this type of way is pre- judging one because of what you see. I say sometimes you see some of the finest lawyer and doctors at bars cause that their personal moments and business but does not mean they are not great doctors. I think this is a little to far.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    In this modern age I would consider a Facebook profile that is not private public knowledge about someone. As such I feel it is an employers duty to check all available public knowledge about a potential employee, job position dependent. With this in mind potential job seekers should be mindful of what they attach their name to on the internet.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Checking someone's Facebook profile is not an invasion of privacy! Its become quite routine for companies to look at a prospective employee's social media presence. If the person has a PUBLIC account then they have made a decision to share themselves online. I think its an excellent way to get more insight on a person, especially for getting a feel for their personality. 'Personality' doesn't always come through on a resume!

Share on facebook