1. Collapse Details
    LLC? PLLC? SCORP? CCORP? Need Advice on Entity Selection & Insurance
    Hello everyone,

So I stumbled across this forum while scouring the internet for information on starting a business. It's my first time here and I could really use some advice. Sorry if this question seems amateur, or our of place, but I'm really hoping I can find some general direction. I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

Live in North Carolina, and when I'm not working my full-time job, I have been teaching CPR/First Aid/AED classes to the public/local fire stations/etc. It's been going pretty well thus far, and I think I'd like to make this business a bit more official, as it's hard to compete with major competitors when I primarily deal in cash and have only recently ordered business cards. There is no official state license requirements in NC for teaching CPR/First Aid classes, to my knowledge, besides the official American Red Cross and American Heart Association-endorsed teachers. As the business expands, many of my prospective clients are asking if I partner with these companies and/or teach my class adhering to OSHA guidelines, which I do, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to book clients without an established business entity that can further my credibility.

I am the "company's" only employee, and I don't really see much expansion. Like I said, this is something I wouldn't mind doing more for a bit more money, but at the same time, I don't see myself hiring any additional employees. To cover the "basics," less than $40k gross income, not worried at all about benefits, and 1 employee (me).

For the entity, I feel like a NC LLC with a federal EIN would be the best way to go for tax purposes, unless someone knows something i've missed. I don't think my CPR/First Aid/AED classes would really fall under the PLLC guidelines, but like I said, I'm here for help! Last question is about insurance. While I see it extraordinarily unlikely I'd ever get sued, a friend of mine gave me some extreme "what-if" circumstances that I don't even feel would fly in court...but anywho...Anyone think I'd need anything more than individual/general liability insurance? Don't see myself needing professional, but who known in today's world.....

If you need any clarifying info, please let me know! Thank you so much!

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    If your working as a professional, I would suggest getting a professional liability insurance to protect yourself from those you have mentioned "what-if" situtations.
    I know 1 agency that I could suggest to you and might help you.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    If your working as a professional, I would suggest getting a professional liability insurance to protect yourself from those you have mentioned "what-if" situtations.
    I know 1 agency that I could suggest to you and might help you.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Connect with the Insurance service providers in your locality and ensure that you get more knowledge about the various types of strategies they follow and implement.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    According to the norms of the government, Limited Liability Company is a corporate structure in which the members are not liable for any distress. PLLC is for professional worker. Though you are single worker in your firm now, you can expand the service in the future. Piterion technologies can help you in your business expansion.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I would suggest a LLC for the beginning as well for the starting time when you are a single worker - as mentioned above, you can expand it in future!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    For tax purposes, by default, an LLC with one member is disregarded as an entity. Or, in other words, is treated as a sole proprietorship. ... And, once it has elected to be taxed as a corporation, an LLC can file a Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation, to elect tax treatment as an S corporation.

Share on facebook