Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Catering Business
    I have mentioned in my other posts that I'm in the stages of starting a mobile catering business and I would like any advice from others to anything they might suggest to make the business a winner.

Now I have a few ideas for a site or two I could trade from, but haven't approached anyone as yet about permissions. Apart from the usual red tape and health certs, I was wondering if anyone here has experience in the food business that wouldn't mind parting with a few trade secrets?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    GREAT customer service skills. Doesn't matter how good your food is, if they don't like you or any of your employees, they will hire someone else. ten times out of ten.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecD View Post
    GREAT customer service skills. Doesn't matter how good your food is, if they don't like you or any of your employees, they will hire someone else. ten times out of ten.
    This is very true. Customer service is a BIG plus. I think I speak for all of us if I say that I like it more when someone is friendly, well-mannered and well-dressed as opposed to someone who looks dirty and is rude. I wouldn't want someone dirty to manage my food.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I disagree with the don't matter how good your food is statement. You should balance your etiquette with the quality product you serve. If you have good food to offer then you would have customers coming to you instead of you chasing after them. You just have to be nice enough and patient enough with your customers. The better your food and the better your attitude is, the more customers will keep coming.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    This is very true. Customer service is a BIG plus. I think I speak for all of us if I say that I like it more when someone is friendly, well-mannered and well-dressed as opposed to someone who looks dirty and is rude. I wouldn't want someone dirty to manage my food.
    That's something I do take a lot of pride in is being nice to customers and I have a thing for cleaning as it goes. I think it's always a good idea to have good manners even when some people are hard to please; I've been on the end of a few angry customers as I've spent a large part of mytime in the Hotel industry.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fredkawig View Post
    I disagree with the don't matter how good your food is statement. You should balance your etiquette with the quality product you serve. If you have good food to offer then you would have customers coming to you instead of you chasing after them. You just have to be nice enough and patient enough with your customers. The better your food and the better your attitude is, the more customers will keep coming.
    I didn't agree with that statement either. The food is something that will have you gaining repeat business. My plan is for a step up from a nasty burger van-frozen,rubbish. I will be selling a small menu to start off with and you're right that it needs to be balanced with good customer relations. I'm very lucky to have a wife who's great in this field, so I have a real gem from that repsect.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I completely agree that you need to become known as a business that offers BOTH great food and excellent customer service, not one or the other! You should try to provide a very personalized service, be very flexible and willing to accommodate client requests, and be available on big holidays when some your competitors might not be. It's good to hear that your wife has already worked in this field - that will help the business make big gains quickly. Best of luck for your new venture!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Customer service is definitely the number one characteristic you should be working on! I enjoy my food more when the servers are presentable, friendly, have good manners and are informative. I went to a restaurant that supposedly had good food according to reviews, but from the start, their service wasn't good. Because of that, my whole perception changed. Even if the food was good, I don't plan on going back.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecD View Post
    On the contrary, if your food is from the land of milk and honey, 10 times out of 10, people will put up with a lot of unnecessary madness.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fredkawig View Post
    I agree with your statement! I believe a mix of great service and food is the best and only option!

Share on facebook