1. Collapse Details
    Depreciation of vehicle when converting use from personal to business
    Hi everyone,

Trying to figure this out:
    Purchased new car on 12/01/2012 for $65,000, for personal use. I assume that this is the "in service date"
    Started a business on 5/1/2016, without any use of the car, personal nor business (not sure if this is relevant)
    Started another business on 8/1/2016, from then on business use of the car is 100%.
    Fair market value of the car on 8/1/2016 (KellyBlueBook) is $37,000.

Am I correct in the following assumptions?:
    1. I cannot use section 179 deduction, because the in service date is in a year prior to its first business use.
    2. I cannot use any special depreciation allowance, because business use in 2016 started after the first half of the year, so business use for the year cannot be 50% or more for the year, even though business use is 100% since business started.
    3. I cannot use MACS method of depreciation for the same reason (<50% business use in first year of business depreciation).
    4. I should use straight line method of depreciation.
    5. I should depreciate the car over 5 years (60 months) starting 8/1/2016, based on FMV value of $37,000, even if it is not likely that the car will have such a useful life (it is already 44 months old when it starts to be used for business).

How should I depreciate the car for use in the business started on 8/1/2016?
    How would I determine the future residual value for depreciation calculation?

Thanks much.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I love depreciation but I just plug mine into TurboTax and let it do the magic. Those IRS worksheets are for the birds

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I think it is much easier to take mileage deduction used for the business.

Share on facebook

Chris
    Please visit my website for all your Income Tax Santa Paula needs..

4. Collapse Details
    We provide all kinds of translation services. Details on the site: https://beltranslations.com/english/...nd-outsourcing

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Hi there! Were you able to determine the future residual value for depreciation calculation?

Share on facebook