Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Everyone's first business?
    So I'm curious. Many of us small business owners have tried more than once at creating a successful business, for example, my very first business was a lemonade stand when I was like 8. Some of us are born-entrapanuers, others of us learn this skill as we grow older. What was your first business? Was it successful? Do you still own that business? Is that your only business? What are your other businesses, if any?

Leave your replies below! (:

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecD View Post
    So I'm curious. Many of us small business owners have tried more than once at creating a successful business, for example, my very first business was a lemonade stand when I was like 8. Some of us are born-entrapanuers, others of us learn this skill as we grow older. What was your first business? Was it successful? Do you still own that business? Is that your only business? What are your other businesses, if any?

The first business I was a part of was actually my dads company. He was a seller of all kinds of drinks to smaller stores and caffes in the area. It was a pretty big operation, around 40 employees! Due to the crisis it unfortuantely went bankrupt which made me go into a different direction in life!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    The first money I ever made besides employment was selling on eBay. I don't really consider that a business though.

My first business was an electronic billing service which eventually turned in a VAR business. I didn't get many clients who wanted to outsource their billing, but I did get a lot of healthcare providers who wanted to buy the software that I was using. I did well, but I didn't enjoy it. My clients were pains in the rear. Also, people were a bit more fearful of personal computers at that time. I did more regular computer training than anything related to the software.

My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I farmed out my clients to spend his last days with him. After he died, I never went back into the business.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecD View Post

My first experience in business was my dads shop where he sold spares for repairing cranes and other heavy earth moving equipment. Though Dad still runs this along with my brother, I have moved on. I started out as a computer instructor and then took up tutoring as my business. Due to health issues, today, I work as a freelance website developer and consultant from home. Been a topsy turvy life out here, but still, I am pulling on...

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    My first business is with my husband. We used to sell/trade mobile phone repair equipment, tools, and supplies (ex. hot air, soldering stations, rework station, etc..). It's okay during the first five years but since we're both doing it on a part-time basis (we're both employed then), the interest in continuing it died eventually. I guess the business could have been more successful if at least one of us resigned from work and focused on it more. But we're both afraid to leave our jobs then.

Well anyway, we both had fun then and we really learned a lot from that experience. We also gained a lot of business contacts from suppliers and customers alike. Some of those we still considered as good friends up to now.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    My first business was having children!!! They have flourished and I JUST know will be rich someday. Otherwise, I did run a home-based daycare and it was so successful that I couldn't take it so I shout it down after 2 years. You can be successful at anything you put your mind and heart in and it will flourish, despite this economy, despite all the sadness in the world I really think now is the time to grasp what your passionate about and do it! Good luck and enjoy your dreams!

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    The first business I got myself into was at the age of 15 when I made my own customised necklaces and bracelets. It only lasted for a couple of months but from then on, I knew I wanted to do something along those lines. Now I'm selling shoes and jewellery and lovin' it.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    The first business I had was when I was a little kid and was reselling things such as candy and junk food. I was even selling stones XD. Yeah that was nice back then, there were people who were actually buying but some were ripping me off and getting my stock which eventually stopped me. I believe I was business minded at a very young age and maybe a born entrepreneur.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    My very first business was selling seeds for flowers.
    I would harvest the seeds from the garden of my parents/grandparents and sell them within my family.
    I really liked doing that and I even had a small drawer with all seeds nicely organised.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Oh my, that reminds me so much of myself as a kid. When I was probably about 10 years old my cousin and I would go around collecting rocks and drawing faces on them and selling them for something like 10 cents a piece! Hardly profitable for the time input, but it was definitely fun. I had forgotten that memory, and your post has drawn it back up. I owe you a thank you, it's not everyday we get to be reminded of childhood memories like that. ;D

Share on facebook

Try Amazon Prime for 30-days for FREE! Just click on the text that says Amazon Prime!. It's like Netflix with a MUCH larger selection, you WON'T regret it!