1. Collapse Details
    Caught key employee interviewing with competitor - what to do?
    My husband and I have owned a small business for 15 years. We got information that our senior project manager has been interviewing at a competitor. We asked him about it, he admitted he had - said they had made him an offer and he turned it down. He states he has decided this is the place for him, he's in it for the long haul. My first thought was the offer must not have been good enough.

I understand if someone wants to move on. How do we trust him again? In a business as small as ours, we have to trust every employee implicitly, and that will be difficult now. We worry he will be stealing our customer information to take with him elsewhere. Do we cut our losses and move on or try to mend fences? While our PM is good, he is not irreplaceable. No one is.

Everything I can read about it is from the employees viewpoint. What do small business owners think about this? We are trying not to take this personally, but it is somewhat difficult.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    It's the business you and your husband spent 15 years building...of course you are going to take it personally!

Trust is the most important element of a healthy employee-employer relationship. It is the first thing you need to establish with a new hire, and it can be difficult to restore. Your situation is complicated and does not have a clear, one-step solution. Sorry

I am a management consultant who works with small business owners to build winning teams. I can tell you that the secret is in how you manage the relationship.

If you'd like to contact me directly, I'd be happy to talk with you in greater detail about this situation.

Share on facebook