Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    2 Major Things You Look For In A Potential Employee
    What are some things you look for in a person you are looking to hire for your staff? For me at look at the their work history first. This gives me an good feel for how qualified they are in terms of working a job. I then evaluate how confident they are when they interview. This gives me an indication of their personality and how they would interact with me as a boss. I think these are two things every employer must take serious. You need to be able to know that person has a history of working and know that they are confident enough to execute assignments.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    These are both important things to look at in a candidate for any job, but I would be careful to rely too much on a person's confidence as a good indicator of their actual ability to do the job properly. There are a lot of people who rely on their confidence to get a job and keep it for some time but don't really perform well because they simply don't know what they are doing or care enough to learn what they need to know. So make sure the person can walk the walk as well as talk the talk, before you make a hiring decision!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I work in an industry that requires a lot of technical knowledge therefore this is the first thing I look for in a potential employee. During the interview process I set competency based questionnaires for candidates to complete, which includes technical questions and also a section of where the candidate would turn if they didn't know the answer - after all, it is impossible to know everything. I will also use the interview to ask technical questions 'on the spot' and see how the candidates perform.

I also work in an industry where you have to interact with different types of people including small business owners, company directors, entrepreneurs, the tax man, bank managers and lawyers so people skills are a must have. If the candidate does not possess the necessary people skills they are not going to do well in my organisation. During the interview process I call upon fellow professionals to help me out and see how the candidates reacts to each one.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    For the kind of work that I do the most important thing to check would be their portfolio. This gives a really good sense of what they have done on past projects, and what they might offer in the future. It's good to recognize whether a person has potential as well. Some people may not have the best experience, but they may be better employees than some who have extensive experience. Stay somewhat open when hiring, but also cautious. There has to be a balance.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I pretty much keep the same criteria for when I interview. I look for confidence most of all, but I am careful not to fall for artificial or manufactured confidence. I can tell when someone is just hyping themselves up for the interview, and there are those who you can easily tell are knowledgeable enough in their field to be calm and confident when asked about their capabilities. Also, I like to look at their personalities and see if they are the type that can get along with me and my current employees, I think that is still very important albeit being somewhat minor.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Most employees will look at your work history. But what happens if a person is a fresh graduate and needs employment? In this case, their internship programs will help a lot in making a decision. It is important that the candidate presents a letter of recommendation from their internship supervisors. It should also be able to be verified in case need arises. This will tell you more about the candidate.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    There is nothing more important than the interview. You have to trust your ability to read and understand people, and you have to believe that any information you've been given about this person (resumes, recommendations, etc.) are GOING to be misleading, by virtue of them being designed to promote, not inform.

It's important to remember, though, that your ability to read people is flawed---someone will come to you who reminds you of a friend, or puts on a good show, and you'll need to check work history and education references. Do your homework, and be prepared to occasionally still make the wrong choices. People are a difficult and volatile resource, that's what makes life so interesting!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I agree any letter of recommendations can be misleading, but not necessarily untrue. Of course the person writing the letter obviously agreed to write nice things about the job candidate, so they are trying to boost their best qualities. The validity of their statements comes from who they are: a supervisor? The president of the company? Or just a peer in the same field, possibly even a friend? Checking out the person's work history or portfolio is also a good indicator of what they have done, although not a good indicator on if they did it WELL. That's when the interviewer really has to ask good questions and get a good feel on the person to read between the lines of the resume.

Share on facebook