Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    Interest in the company and the things we do. And also what the person knows. I don't need them to know everything as long as there is a passion to learn more.
    I wish there was a way to measure someones passion. I have met people who can really fake and say things you want to hear.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I may look at three major things when I interview someone. I try to get a sense of whether the individual is detail-oriented or results-oriented. Rarely do you find individuals with both dominant traits. Bottom line, I look for results-oriented individuals. Also, if the individual knows a lot about the company, that's a plus.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    For me, the most important things are trustworthiness and having the necessary skills. I don't think any degrees matter if an employee didn't posses the skills or have what it takes to perform the task and duties for the job position. Sometimes I believe people may be genuinely trying to turn over a new leaf, so I think they deserve a chance even if they might have a "shady" past.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    As a college student, I know how it feels to be looked down by your previous job experiences so I try not to weigh in too much on it but rather see their skills and how well they would work together as a team.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I try to look for how much attention to detail the candidate displays. One interesting test was where I asked him to copy out a small paragraph, and see how many punctuation marks he left out or changed.

I also try to evaluate the reasons why he left his former jobs. This helps me determine if he is too fickle-minded to stay in one assignment.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I agree any letter of recommendations can be misleading, but not necessarily untrue. Of course the person writing the letter obviously agreed to write nice things about the job candidate, so they are trying to boost their best qualities. The validity of their statements comes from who they are: a supervisor? The president of the company? Or just a peer in the same field, possibly even a friend? Checking out the person's work history or portfolio is also a good indicator of what they have done, although not a good indicator on if they did it WELL. That's when the interviewer really has to ask good questions and get a good feel on the person to read between the lines of the resume.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Employees convey the aura of your business, so first and foremost, my employees need to learn how to smile. Smiling always helps when dealing with customers, and if my employee doesn't do it, then it doesn't build a comfortable relationship with customers. I need to know my employee will treat all customers equally, kindly, and with respect. But of course, we can't just hire a nice dude. The person must be skilled and experienced in their area of work. They need that thirst for knowledge, because when I hire people, I think of it as a learning process for both of us. I must also make sure that they have a passion for the job they are assigned to.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    For me the two key areas would be competency and passion. Finding employees who have both isn't easy but during interviewing I like to test both areas. A couple of written tests generally give me a good idea of whether they have the key skills that I would be looking for and a following interview with questions that focus on the business itself. If they show passion for the job and business then in general I find these to be a better indicator over only hiring them based on their history.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Since I will be working in close quarters with someone inside the food truck or stall, I have to love their personality! Ideally it would be someone who has the same humour as me and just has a great attitude. Aside from that, experience is always negotiable but I want the person to have a real passion to learn!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Ambition/motivation and intelligence. I don't mean knowledge or education, but general wittiness and creativity.

Share on facebook