Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    shipping products?
    I make products from home and usually just distribute locally... Bit I have had about if people stay asking about shipping my products and I don't really know where to start when it comes to shipping process... Etc... Any advice? Any programs that make it easier? Advice would be great.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Here is what my friend does because she owns an online business selling gift items. She has some boxes on which she buys from the local shopping stores, then she prints the shopping label. She has the membership for the shipping label, which then she doesn't have to pay a lot of money per shipment. She then ships the items because the customers pay for the shipping, which she says it is one of the best way because she also has the tracking number for each shipment.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    My best advice would be to do some research on-line. Google is a fantastic resource for looking up anything. Another resource that seems really obvious would be to go to your local USPS. I'm sure that they would be willing to answer a few questions. Other than that maybe take a look at the UPS website.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodismel View Post
    My best advice would be to do some research on-line. Google is a fantastic resource for looking up anything. Another resource that seems really obvious would be to go to your local USPS. I'm sure that they would be willing to answer a few questions. Other than that maybe take a look at the UPS website.
    I agree, you just need to do a little bit of research and you will soon see what your options are for shipping your products. Contact USPS and UPS as the poster above recommends.

You should also go online and look at other people who products similar to yours (in terms of shape, size, value, fragility etc.) and see how they handle their shipping. Which shipper do they use? Do they recommend that the shipment be insured? Do they pack in boxes, bubble-wrap, padded envelopes, or what? Where do they ship to - within the country only, or overseas as well? You might want to use a courier service such as UPS, FedEx, DHL for overseas, or maybe USPS would be good enough. The prices will vary from one shipper to the next, though, so compare. There might also be customs issues with overseas shipments (i.e. the customer might have to pay), but the courier companies usually have all that info.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    My suggestion will be that you do a research on how to go about this and also ask people you know personally who are into this and try to get their information on how they go about this.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    You should find how much shipping fees your local carriers have. If you have cheaper carriers as compared to Fedex and other branded carriers, you can use those to do shipping. If you are selling locally it would be cheaper and if nationally or internationally more expensive depending on the destination and the carrier that you have chosen to ship your products with.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Include the USPS in your research. They have always been the cheapest option for me. Check out online options such as stamps.com too. Being able to print your labels from home and have the carrier pick up from your location will free up your time for other income producing activities!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I think it's different for every area as to what methods are available. In my area, we are given the choice of having our shipments picked up from our house, so we don't even necessarily need to leave the house to ship our items. Of course, that comes with an additional fee, but not really that much and it pretty much equals what you would spend in travel anyway. As for advice, I think the most important thing to do when you decide to start shipping is to keep everything organized. You don't even really need any fancy software to keep track of what you are sending out and which items are being returned. I find that using MS Excel is already plenty sufficient, and once you have already built a good structure on it, you only ever have to input certain values to calculate and make notes of everything.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Taru View Post
    In my area, we are given the choice of having our shipments picked up from our house, so we don't even necessarily need to leave the house to ship our items. Of course, that comes with an additional fee, but not really that much and it pretty much equals what you would spend in travel anyway.
    My area has this service for free and it's great. Great response and suggestions as well, I totally agree.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I kind of seen that PayPal had the shipping label option available but didn't look at out closer enough.. I'll have to do some research

Share on facebook