Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Do you work for your family?
    My dad has a restaurant business in which I have been helping him since the year of 2008. At first, I didn't like helping my parents because I didn't have freedom and got no time to do whatever I wanted. However, I have found that working with my parents turned out very well because I still had my freedoms and time to do whatever I wanted. It was a job security, you know, which I thought I quite enjoyed working for them. Do you work for your family? What is the experience like?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Ised to work with my dad and I really liekd it for several reasons. As you said you always have job security. The second thing is that basically you are working for yourself which motivates you alot. One day the company will be yours. So it made me think creatively and actually want to go to work every day and work hard. I think its a good idea if you are a driven person and you can fit your family business type well.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    None of my family members own a business, and personally, I would have loved to just been able to work for or with my family after I graduated. I agree with you that it is incredibly nice to feel as a security no matter what size the business is, and it also probably will teach a lot that we can't learn in school. It's a big reason as to why I am choosing to hopefully build something substantial and stable for myself so my future family will have something to lean back on when I do start my own family one day.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I worked for my family for 6+ years. The main owner was my mothers husband and we did not get along well when I was a teenager, they were married when I was 15, tough age ya know. There were many hardships working for them. They expected more from me than others and came down harder on me if a mistake was made. We do have a large amount of cash that is brought in each evening from the sales people that work at each location and myself and my mom & stepdad are the only ones allowed to "check in" every evening. Before becoming a partner they expected me to stay late, past 7pm, at least 5 nights of the week while they only stayed 2. We are open 7 days a week during our "season" which is 8 months out of the year. We have grown into one of the largest businesses of our kind in the world and have had the ability to hire others to do such tasks now, with cameras that we watch in real time on iPhones and computers.
    Working with family can be a blessing or a nightmare, you have to separate home from business. At the office everyone has a job to do no matter who they are reporting to.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I have worked for my family but only as a student job. I also do some chores and some computer work for my family but it's more of a friend service. I get payed but I don't choose to get payed, they just give me money.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Once upon a time I did. I worked for my brother in my youthful years. When I was a teenager I worked at his restaurant. It was an enjoyable experience. I was sorry when they closed down the business. Working for family can be good and bad. It all depends on the type of parents/family members you have, and their attitude towards you.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by delusional View Post
    I have worked for my family but only as a student job. I also do some chores and some computer work for my family but it's more of a friend service. I get payed but I don't choose to get payed, they just give me money.
    Wish I had some family who gave me money right now...

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Sometimes it's quite hard. But the feeling is great, very fulfilling.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Working for your family is great. Especially if your superiors are your parents. Think about it, they have been raising us from ever since we are born till now. One of the way we can repay their kindness is to work for them. It's one way of saying "Thank you for raising me to be such a fine person and I am proud of this business that you are doing". And it's also great that you can still see them so often.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    No, I don't work for my family. I would never do that. My mother wanted to start a family business. I was going to opt out but, it never got off the ground. I have some serious slackers and control freaks in my family. Life is just too short.

Share on facebook