Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I worked once for in a business that was jointly owned by my sister and her husband. I was very young then but what I went through then is something I never want to face again. It's not just the high expectations that weigh down on you, it's taken for granted that you're trustworthy which means you are expected to snitch on your co-workers even if all they do is sneak away five minutes earlier. . .or come in late.

Right now, if I want my kid to get into business, I'll simply provide some capital and tell him to start his own business.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    My mother is a fashion designer and has owned her own business for more than 35 years. I have worked for her a lot over the last 20 years but deemed it necessary to start my own business. I just needed that independence and to do something on my own. Plus it is not always easy to work for your mother. I love what she does but her business is not my passion. I help her a little now here and there but I feel much better on my own.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pandandesign View Post
    My dad has a restaurant business in which I have been helping him since the year of 2008. At first, I didn't like helping my parents because I didn't have freedom and got no time to do whatever I wanted. However, I have found that working with my parents turned out very well because I still had my freedoms and time to do whatever I wanted. It was a job security, you know, which I thought I quite enjoyed working for them. Do you work for your family? What is the experience like?
    Working for your family is tricky business. I do not have any experience working with family, but I know that family and money is like oil and water. What I can advice you to do is to try to be a dependable individual when at the family business. Realise that that is a business and not a home and make sure that you do not bring grudges from home to the workplace.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikka254 View Post
    Working for your family is tricky business. I do not have any experience working with family, but I know that family and money is like oil and water. What I can advice you to do is to try to be a dependable individual when at the family business. Realise that that is a business and not a home and make sure that you do not bring grudges from home to the workplace.
    This is true. My dads company was stuck with 2 cousins of mine who performed subpar on their jobs. Unfortunately if you want to have good relationships inside of your family its almost impossible to get rid of bad family employees so you should really think about it before you hire!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Depends on your relationship with the family really. If it's tense, working with them is probably not a good idea. Everything works well and you get along just fine? Join the business and work together! You get the security of a job and preferential treatment as an employee, what's more to ask. Also, the chance that one day you'll be taking over to run the trade yourself is higher.

I still work in the summer with my family and things are running smooth but that's because we are very tight and the common issues like money and who runs the thing do not concern us.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    Ised to work with my dad and I really liekd it for several reasons. As you said you always have job security. The second thing is that basically you are working for yourself which motivates you alot. One day the company will be yours. So it made me think creatively and actually want to go to work every day and work hard. I think its a good idea if you are a driven person and you can fit your family business type well.
    I agree. It is much better working for a family because I do get the freedom I want. I have my own set of hours and pace. Plus, most of my friends don't like working for the family. I'm probably the few people who prefer that. So, did you take over the business? Or did you work something relate to your family's business?

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CeliVega View Post
    Working for your family is great. Especially if your superiors are your parents. Think about it, they have been raising us from ever since we are born till now. One of the way we can repay their kindness is to work for them. It's one way of saying "Thank you for raising me to be such a fine person and I am proud of this business that you are doing". And it's also great that you can still see them so often.
    I agree. I don't ask for any pay or monthly salary or wage just because I technical work in a place. I work for my parents for what I have chosen to do, plus they are my parents and I think nothing is more important than family besides your own health. Well, I don't mind working for my parents, and sometimes I do get yelled at, but in the end it's just for a good cause.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I've never worked for my family, but I can't think of anything that would cause me to work harder than the possible bankruptcy of the people who brought me into the world. It's not a fair burden to be placed on anyone, but some people like the challenge and relish the chance to spend more time with family every day. It certainly would make me the favorite son, and it would be nice to constantly feel the pride that your family has in you and your efforts.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I do work for my family. My family currently has two businesses, one is a cafe and the other is a one-stop shop wherein you can pay your bills, book your flights, send money, or load your prepaid phones. I work for the One-stop shop and I honestly don't get paid that high since it's family. But I get free food and they provide me my place to live, so I can't complain with the many benefits they give me.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't dream of working for my family. It's too much of a personal position, with a less important decision making technique that may be used by your relatives, due to the close relationship. Also, it wouldn't me much of a learning experience in my eyes. Working with people you don't know enters you into a new group of people, and lets you bring your other side out. It builds your skills in team working as well.

Share on facebook