Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I sister has an hair salon and on some days when Im not working I go over there on the weekends and work. I can say it a great experience, I loved to work there I get to help customers and wash and do hair. Sometimes my sister and I clash but that only when she wants me to come on certain days that I just dont want to casue she has so many people schedule. I never had any problems with payments or anything.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I worked alongside my cousin doing removals with my uncle's removal business when I was younger. It wasn't too bad but it was pretty physically demanding, though he paid me pretty good for the time. I would say it depends entirely on who you're working with and how they treat, personally I would stay clear of hiring relatives but I wouldn't particularly have a problem with working for them, as long as they'd hire me.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    No, I don't work for my family. I work for myself these days. I did once work with my dad though doing gardening. He has his own gardening business, so when i was younger i used to help him out for extra spending money. Nowadays I have my own Web Content Business, so i work from home, for myself. I did love working for my dad though it was very enjoyable.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Yea, I did before. Basically, you are an employer yourself as well. Other employees would not see you as equal with them, they recognize you as the boss' son. I do not really like the idea though, because I do not feel challenged. It is like people will just agree with anything you say. This practice would not be good for the family business until you are officially the boss.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Nope. My parents are academics and I don't have the educational background to work in the "family business". I would definitely work for them otherwise. Pride can go a long way in optimizing productivity and success.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Its very advantageous when you are working for a business which is owned by one of your parents. This is due to the reason that you get a very good level of job security and very flexible working hours. It is also beneficial in the sense that you feel a part of the business as it belongs to your family. But like everything in the world, it has its fair share of disadvantages, like that you might not be able to earn a similar amount of respect and stature amongst your co-workers which you might have been able to earn at a different business. I worked for my family business for a while but I quit because I was not able to achieve the things which I wanted from that job.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I haven't worked of my family but I am not against helping anyone.The issue is if you make a long term commitment to a family member's business it can take a toll on your relationship. For my own food truck business I have hired family members on a one time basis for events and that has worked out well. I don't want anything to jeopardize my relationship with them and of course my business so I truly believe its best to keep them separate.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Also I just wanted to add that its really important to have consistency. Regardless if the employee is family or a stranger you need to keep the same standards and guidelines. Have them sign a contract, keep the pay rate the same and along with that, your expectations of them.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I think working for your family is actually great, you can work under no much pressure to deliver unlike working for someone else. I have experience working for my father and I loved it because I could get to work on what I really wanted. But also I had to break away because I needed to do something of my own. Which I think is normal for anyone.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelouis View Post
    I think working for your family is actually great, you can work under no much pressure to deliver unlike working for someone else. I have experience working for my father and I loved it because I could get to work on what I really wanted. But also I had to break away because I needed to do something of my own. Which I think is normal for anyone.
    The main question is actually is it great for the family that you are working for them?
    The pressure is the thing that makes the employees do great work, if you dont have it you probably wont work as hard and thats something you dont want in your business!

Share on facebook