Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What if your boss owes you a month's wage?
    It doesn't happen often that you work for a company but your boss hasn't paid you for a month. I have heard a few situation like this, but sometimes the boss pays their employees back the following month. However, sometimes the boss just doesn't pay you at all. In case, what would you do? Will you file a legal action or talk to the attorney about this? Or do you just quite the job? Please share to your thought and I want to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I would not tolerate this from an employer. Before you start working, you should have an agreement about when and how you will be paid. If your boss doesn't pay you when they are supposed to, I wouldn't formally quit, but I would not continue to work until I was paid. I would also file a claim through small claims court. The judge would likely side with the employee and order the employer to pay you what you're owed plus the court fees.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    In the UK they've got employment tribunals that deal with such disputes when employers fail to pay their workers. It works faster than having the court handle intervene. Anyway, point is, if you've worked for one month, you deserve to get paid for your work. That means quitting is not option. You get your money first [even if it means taking legal action to force your boss to pay] then quit. . .

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan989 View Post
    I would not tolerate this from an employer. Before you start working, you should have an agreement about when and how you will be paid. If your boss doesn't pay you when they are supposed to, I wouldn't formally quit, but I would not continue to work until I was paid. I would also file a claim through small claims court. The judge would likely side with the employee and order the employer to pay you what you're owed plus the court fees.
    Absolutely. I would not tolerate this either and I would take action. That is unfair and illegal for them to not pay you.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    It really depends on how much money that they haven't paid you. Most of the time, if it's not a substantial amount of money, you should probably just leave it. The attorney fees may greatly outweigh the amount you would make by actually receiving the unpaid wages. You have to do your research. Which one is going to cost more? Do you have the time and/or the money to take action against the employer? I know that it isn't fair but I am sorry to say that this thing happens more then you think and a lot of times they get away with it. Your best bet would be to send a threatening letter to the employer with the statute code on it with your name, telling them that this is illegal and that you will go after them if they don't send you the wages. My brother sent a letter like that and was finally paid the money that he had earned fair and square but his employer refused to pay him. Either way, good luck!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    You should consult your employer first. After that file a complaint within the company you work with. If that does not help try your local Labor and Employment agency and file a complaint. If it still doesn't work or you are not satisfied then better file a case in court. Though if your salary is lower than lawyer's fees better not do it.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fredkawig View Post
    You should consult your employer first. After that file a complaint within the company you work with. If that does not help try your local Labor and Employment agency and file a complaint. If it still doesn't work or you are not satisfied then better file a case in court. Though if your salary is lower than lawyer's fees better not do it.
    Oh, I see. I think it is better not to hire a lawyer because if the employer will pay back then it is good. Otherwise, contacting the Labor and Employment Agency will be a good idea. I think if the employer knows that they are owing their employees money, then why they hire too many employees in the first place.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I cannot work for free because I need the money to take care of other important responsibilities. One month of no pay is the most a person should tolerate after that the employer has to won up with no more excuses.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Unless you are supposed to be making quite a hefty sum, I'd keep the lawyers out of it. They'll soak up every penny. Small claims courts deal with this situation regularly, and are an effective way to resolve these issues. Obviously, talking to your employer first would be the easiest way to fix this problem, but after it's fixed, I'd quit anyways. This does not sound like a steady line of work.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    This has happened to me before, but admittedly it was just when I was starting out and my wage wasn't that big yet so I was able to shrug it off, also partly because I actually liked my employer back then. I stayed because I was promised to be paid at a certain date in the future and I trusted her enough to follow through, and she did. I think a bit of subjectivity comes into play when situations like these arise, and it really just has to do with the particular aspects of each circumstance, but if the relationship is purely a financial one and you derive no other benefits from working there like actual enjoyment in the job, then it would be best to leave since there is no other driving force to rely on.

Share on facebook