Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Buying a Domain name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Buying a Domain name
    Hello, I thought of setting up a new website, but the domain name that I wanted is currently being owned by someone or by a webhosting company. It is currently empty by the way, i mean no design yet and not even under construction. I further check the domain registration details and found out that it was being protected since 2002 and the latest registration will expire on May 2014... Is it possible to just grab it on the exact day the domain name expires? Or they have some kind of protection to it that will prevent me to possibly do that (owning it) even though they missed out in re-registering the site? Please any info will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    When the domain expires in May 2014, the domain will not be immediately available. There is a certain grace period. Also the domain registrar ( especially GoDaddy) may hold the name for an extended period of time especially if the domain name might be valuable. It seems unlikely that the company that owns it since 2002 will let the registration lapse.

Last year around June, I didn't renew a domain name. I immediately regretted it. GoDaddy held the domain name for 6 months. They even contacted me to participate in an auction for the domain. I had given up hope of ever retrieving the domain. Luckily, I was able to buy in last month for $10 when GoDaddy finally released it.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I hate godaddy's business practices.

Anyway, owesem75 if you can't get the domain you want why not go for a different extension. . ..org, .biz. . .whatever. These days you don't need a .com domain to be ranked well by the search engines. In fact a .biz domain name extension would be great if you'll be selling stuff on your site. That saves you time waiting so that you can get to promoting your web-site as you wait for the person who has parked the domain to stop paying for the domain name.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Obviously they will want to protect their client especially if the company has been paying for the domain name since 2002. You can simply try and create a new domain depending on your domain. There are many sites that can help you create a domain name, all you have to do is given the query a keyword(s) and it will try to create several domain names available for purchase.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Ok guys, thanks for the tips and I appreciate your thoughts. Since there are few months left before the domain (that I like) expires, I will still try my luck to get it. I will be very happy if I could, but I am prepared to use the .biz extension should I fail to grab it. For the meantime, I will be working on the site's design, content, and strategies.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    As the company has been paying for the domain name since 2002 I seriously doubt you will be able to get it as soon as it expires. You could maybe try contacting whoever owns it and offer them a price, if it works like that. I don't really know much about domains so I'm not 100% sure how everything works.

Good luck getting your domain mate.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I agree with Rainman. Nowadays, having different extensions is a lot more common than it was before when people would always consider any other domain that wasn't .com as bad or irrelevant. In my opinion, now that we're used to the alternative extensions, having one even provides some benefits such as uniqueness, provided that the domain has a nice tone to it. Good luck with your quest, and I hope you do get your primary choice, but it's good that you at least have an alternate one to fall back on.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Probably best to just go for another domain. I think there is some kind of protection where you can choose to renew your domain when it expires, before anyone else has a chance to get it. Since they've owned it since 2002 they're probably not willing to give it up now either.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    In my opinion, waiting for the domain to become available is not worth your time. You could have used that waiting period to set up a website and start conducting your business. As others have mentioned, there are many others top level domain available for you to choose. I hope you could get the address you like and I wish you good luck with your business.
    Cheers.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Hello guys! I really cannot thank you enough for these encouraging words. Actually, I already have made plans in setting up a website prior to the very challenging desire of getting this one domain that I like.. but after 6 months of waiting (and building the concept and strategy for this new website), I am giving up the "waiting" and will proceed to get a domain name with a different twist! thanks again.

Share on facebook