Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quality Perception Based on Packaging
    Let's say my family is in the apple juice making business (just an example, I won't give the real details, just the problem). The juice is great, quality is fantastic and those that taste the thing praise it. Now it's time to sell the stuff. Being a family business, funds are limited so we go with a cheaper bottling option, simple bottles and no fancy labels. At this point, the taste is great but the looks of the packaging not so great.

Next we get some shelf space and start selling the stuff. And what do you know, people avoid our juice and instead buy the more professionally bottled brand juice, or so we think.

How do we deal with this? Better packaging? No money! Maybe get some samples out?
    Or maybe the problem lies with the people not wanting to try unfamiliar and possibly subpar products?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Well I guess you will have to compromise with something. When you start a business you will need good quality packaging designs. As you know there will be a number of other apple juices(i.e whatever you are selling) on sale, so for your product to stand out you will need to do something eye catching. If you have financial restrictions then try doing something innovative within the limited means.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    I believe the packaging is the number one concern of customers. Most people nowadays are health conscious thus they tend to be more critical in buying products such as the example you've given. They might have concerns when it comes to the cleanliness of the product, the quality, safety and other issues. You can try sampling and giving out free tastes and try to package or at least label your product as it would attract more customers. The word homemade can attract a lot of people. Why don't you give it a try and see the results.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Foster View Post
    Well I guess you will have to compromise with something. When you start a business you will need good quality packaging designs. As you know there will be a number of other apple juices(i.e whatever you are selling) on sale, so for your product to stand out you will need to do something eye catching. If you have financial restrictions then try doing something innovative within the limited means.
    Thanks for the link Alice, just reading the descriptions of the services provided gave me a few good ideas. Trying something innovative is also great advice, we could try something weird, shocking (maybe?) and test the results. In the beginning we need not worry about brand recognition or keeping the same logo/labels until we find what works best.

@ fredkawig, good advice to market based around the idea of "homemade"! This and experimenting with the labels will keep us busy for quite a while. Thanks!

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    There are a few ways to have better packaging with lesser cost.

One way is to make your packaging unique! Be resourceful and think of something your competitors would never think of. Packaging is actually nicer if the font, color, and simplicity is nice. Simple is always beautiful. Don't overdue your packaging design because that will probably make it seem cheap quality.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    If it were me, I'd just find a way to be able to sell my product for way cheaper than my competitors and just go at it from that angle instead. People looking for cheaper stuff won't usually care that much about packaging, and if you try to become like your competitors, you'd risk getting muscled out of shelves once you gain enough attention anyway even if you do gain consumer trust through nicer packaging, so I instead would just recommend aiming for a different niche. If you are set on just making the packaging better, I'd agree with angelicagapit and say that there are a lot of other ways you can get cheaper packaging that is still nice and it will just take a huge amount of creativity and a lot of alternative sourcing such as finding cheaper paper or using alternative materials like glass or plastic if it's applicable. In this case, working out the numbers and finding the resources then hiring the right graphic designer would probably be a good place to start.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    It is the packing of the product that forms the first impression in the mind of a prospective customer. And as it is widely regarded that the first impression is the last impression, it becomes very important that the packing of the product is attractive and of good quality. It is the packing of the product which protects it from the outside elements and keeps it safe.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I would like to add to my earlier comment that in the case of a perishable good, the packing of the product becomes all the more relevant. If the packaging is of not good quality, it will increase the amount of goods which are spoiled and the cost of these goods is a loss which the business would have to incur. This will directly affect the amount of profit the business earns and will affect its growth and stability in the long run.

Share on facebook

Last edited by pahagwl; 02-20-2014 at 04:26 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    This may be a long shot, but I think in this case honesty might be the best policy, and actually get you some good results. What if you say right on the label, something along the lines of, "Hey, we're a family company, we're not into anything fancy, we go for the simple packaging to save you money. What's inside the bottle should speak for itself." I have read something similar to this on packaging for organic products, family-owned products and small businesses. Something about that home-grown, we-don't-care-because-we-know-our-stuff-is-quality (and so will you) attitude appeals to people. Sure your label might not look as fancy as the other guys', but if people love the taste of your "juice", you've got to capture those loyal customers who will stick with you and recommend you for the quality, not the sparkle of the package.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    In this kind of scenario I suggest selling your product at a farmer's market and other like events and provide samples and make connections with people. Coupons would be good too. Maybe a press release in the local paper. When I see local food products in the stores around here I try to look past the packaging and focus on the ingredients.

Honestly most people focus too much on the packaging than the actual product.

Share on facebook