Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    how to do you deal with a bully but efficient worker in your team?
    It is not about job politics nor a contest who is best in the group, but if you are managing a team, how do you deal with a bully but super efficient worker in a team? I have to mention that although the general and over all motivation of the team is low, it is still able to effectively deliver the output.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    You need to address the issue with this person. "Delivering the output" is not all there is to business; I bet the team would be more productive in a better work environment, and the ability to do the job is not enough to justify allowing any bullying or harassment. You need to have the faith in your ability to train new people to the same level as the "super effective bully" that you have right now.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    over time this employee will poison the group and keep morale low, his or her unique or singular benefit to your company is no match for the lack of productivity being created by the other members.

Bullies need to be dealt with, straight up, like adults. Communicate clearly that there is no room for negativity, and it doesn't matter how good the apples taste at the moment if the tree isn't getting watered.

Share on facebook

Jake Miller
    Founder, CEO
    Miller Marketing Group
    www.millermarketingroup.com

4. Collapse Details
    Everyone can be replaced no matter how good they are, there is always someone better than them outside there. Seriously when you are an adult bullying should not be your thing leave it to the kids. Personally I would fire the bully dude if after numerous attempts of trying to reason out with the employee.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelouis View Post
    Everyone can be replaced no matter how good they are, there is always someone better than them outside there. Seriously when you are an adult bullying should not be your thing leave it to the kids. Personally I would fire the bully dude if after numerous attempts of trying to reason out with the employee.
    I agree with this comment. No one should be immune from tormenting their co-workers no matter how good they are. I'd let some light jabs go, but to me, the duty of a boss is to keep the workers happy, and the moment the light jabs cross the line into bullying, I'd start to doubt the stability of the comfort level of the other employees. I would also take into consideration that the team might even perform a lot better without the dominant one causing stress, and even though it might be risky to find out, I'd say it would still be worth it just knowing I could sleep a lot better at night because my employees aren't dreading to go to work under my watch.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    What you should ask yourself is how much more the team would perform with high morale. Secondly, is it possible that the bully only appears to be efficient out of causing the others to under-perform? You may be surprised that without the bully, others will rise up to fill their spot and no negative effect will be felt in your organization.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Though output might seem to be stable for now the effects of low morale on long term efficacy of a team can be very serious. I have to agree 100% with the other replies as far as that's concerned. I'd add though, that when you are in a management position it is very important to establish yourself as a leader. Allowing your team members to do as they see fit and undermine you so long as they get things done would be a serious blow to your integrity as a team manager.

Hope everything works out!!

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I heard in some company they transfer their employees to another position from time to time to prevent something like this from happening. When you have only one guy who is responsible for something essential in business and he knows about it, he will get arrogant and think he has more authority over others because he knows very well that the company can't function without him. By transferring him into another department, it can somehow remind him that the company can still go on without him and he is not the only one who can perform a certain task. That way he will think twice before being rude to the others.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I will definitely have a talk with this 'bully' in the team. It does not matter how efficient this worker is if he creates animosity in my team's dynamic. In the long run, I might lose more because I avoided this issue. If this worker still cannot behave after the talk, I will formally issue the person a warning letter and bring it up to HR the next time he behave unprofessionally.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    I have to please or appear to be a friend to such kind of person and usually these people need attention as they are seeking for it. Don't let talents like these get wasted just because of a conflict with each one's pride. Try to lure him and smooth talk him into contributing more for the team and give praise to what is due. I don't believe there are bullies which can't be tamed by a little attention.

Share on facebook