1. Collapse Details
    Hiring Sales Staff - Commission or Salary or Both?
    We have a social media management business - we are currently considering adding sales staff to our team to approach businesses to become a client.
    I don't want to have pushy sales people, really friendly helpful.....

So how do I attract the right people without costing my business a fortune in salary???

Our original thought was commission only with a structure of
    50% of Initial Fee, 15% ongoing revenue monthly from the client as long as the saleperson is part of our team.

Thoughts?????

Share on facebook

Dufferin Media
    Social Media Management Services
    Hands off solution to help you build your business online using the powerful tools of Social Media
    www.dufferinmedia.com
    sarah@dufferinmedia.com

2. Collapse Details
    You if your business is already rolling (ie successfully started) then "commission only" proposal is not a bad idea. Still you can split the work into a tangible (For example number of emails sent) and intangible (ie converting into real sales), for the first part you may consider paying little money as its slightly scary for a unfamiliar person to trust like that, still many things depends on your mode of hiring.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    You should work because the conditions which are required

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    You should attract them by discussing every activities (let it be the income or outcome) so that they might get the feel of they working for their own company. You should make a friendly move towards those employees and make them understand the importance of their job and promise them they will get rewarded for their every work they put on for the concern. Make it simple.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Give them a trial run and see what they can do for a month on a meagre salary. Then you can add performance based incentives and go ahed with your plan. I feel that making their salary directly linked to the amount of business they bring in is fair to both parties and will keep the employees on their best performances as well. You could check out the compensation styles followed in a variety of companies (say like Piterion, they are popular for their employee compensation pacages and a motivated workforce) once you grow big.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I think for sales people, the best scenario is to start with hourly payment and then move them to commission only. In this case your employee will receive some funds when they just starting to build their pipe line and then it will be better to increase commission

Share on facebook

Mike Levin,
    Small online store owner.

I Use SMC