Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Advice for a college student

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Advice for a college student
    Hello fellow members, I joined this forum hoping the knowledgeable business men and women here would be able to give some advice to a college student. I am currently a second semester freshman with sophomore standing due to the amount of credits I have at Syracuse University, with Political Science and Business Management as my two selected majors. My question for you guys is: are there any classes you deem absolutely necessary to take at an Undergraduate level, if so why, and if you do not think any classes are necessary why not? To give you a little bit more background, I aspire to open my own law firm specializing in Corporate Law.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I'm also a student managing a small business with a partner.
    It's good that you're doing political science because that would be one of the recommended subjects for law in undergraduate programmes. But first of all, are you planning on going to a law school? Or are you going to try and just own a piece of the firm without being a lawyer?
    If you are going to law school, it is not necessary that you take pre-law. I would recommend Political Science (which you already are taking), History and English. Law schools want to see their applicants think critically and have great communication skills. I found this link which might give you some tips on how to get started: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-i...-school-2014-1

Hope this helps!

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Study hard don't ever think of it as high school. The amount of time you spent studying for high school classes tripple it!

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Since you said you are going to do business related to laws, then it would surely be a good idea to take classes that give you more exposure on the subjects. Remember that your knowledge source is not limited from the lessons the university provides. Nowadays with internet, you can learn from almost anywhere and any time. Start searching for the related subjects and hopefully you could find a good knowledge source for your business.
    One more thing to remember, grades are important, but do not let that be your only motive in university. The point of attending university besides receiving knowledge, is to make connection. Do not sacrifice your social life completely. This world has always been about "who" you know rather than "what" you know.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    College is where you are aligning yourself to the path where you would spend most of your professional life with so stay focused and acquire as many knowledge you could get and at the same time just enjoy it. And do not ever think that it is the end of it once you have received your parchment.. it is just the start of a more challenging journey so you better stay on track.

As to the course/classes, I think you have chosen the right course for your pre-law and yes, I agree with the rest of the posters here.

Good luck.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    I do plan on going to law school, I went business and political science undergrad to show a diverse background and due to personal interests. I have heard that law schools do not care what your undergrad majors are unless you can not apply them to law whatsoever. My career interests are to be a corporate lawyer, but I plan to dabble in the financial sector on my own (mainly stock-market and short term investments).

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    You said you were going to be involved in corporate law, I would recommend an accounting class. At least a basic one. Accounting is the language of business! :0)

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I can only speak for myself as a graduate of a business course, so take my comment with a grain of salt, but my opinion is that the most and probably the only important thing in business is experience, so I'd say the most important class would be on the job training or the internship more than anything else. Like I said, I don't know many of the specifics when it comes to law classes, so there might be some that would still prove to be beneficial, as I don't mean that they are all unnecessary, just that I think the most necessary is the part where you experience first hand what it feels like to be in a running business and to see how they operate.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    I'd probably say Accounting. But maybe also Philosophy or Economics

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    A college education is very rich and interesting, I think many students like it, if we talk about some difficulties, I have been writing research papers at UK PapersOwl for a long time, this work that needs to be written once a year, but in general everything else was good.

Share on facebook

Last edited by IslaRowland; 02-04-2019 at 03:10 AM.