1. Collapse Details
    Small Business/Hiring a CPA
    I work for a small business, the business brings in about half a million dollars a year.

I am an Operations Manager. The company used to be part of a larger one. When we were part of a larger one I assisted the finance department. I would gather receipts that my department had and made a version of a trial balance in Excel.

When we split on our own my boss wanted me to take over all of the accounting/book keeping process. I've had no training/classes/experience in accounting/book keeping/HR-payroll etc.. But he doesn't seem to think we need an accountant and believes a small business doesn't need anyone else but me because software such as quickbooks allows anyone to do the bookkeeping for a company.
    Because I've had no training I'm feeling some frustrations.

My question is for a small business making half a million dollars a year what should the company have? (me and a CPA or Accountant etc.?)
    If I stayed doing the bookkeeping how much interaction would I get with an account if we hired one?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    give me some idea about this.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Great question Matilda. The accuracy of the books and records is an important task. Financial information is not only important for tax filing purposes but should be referred to on a regular basis by the business owner - regardless of the size of the business! It provides great information about the growth and profitability of the business, control of expenses, cash availability to pay liabilities to name a few. It's an essential tool for decision making as well - e.g. pricing, hiring and equipment acquisition. A company's financial information is one of the most important tools - especially at the size of business you're in.

It sounds like your boss isn't using the financial information and that's sad. For the reasons stated above, I really believe that the bookkeeping and accounting process should be done on a timely basis, by an employee of the company - not the external accountants. The employee needs to be properly trained on how to use the bookkeeping software and how to read the information to ensure it's accurate. With that said, if you're the person chosen to do this, you really need proper training. (Your boss needs training too on how to use the information). Any employee who is required to do work that they don't feel they are capable of doing will quickly lose motivation to do it. It will affect your motivation on other responsibilities and they'll start hating their job. I don't want this to happen to you.

The costs to the business when this happens is huge!! And the chance you'll start looking for another place to work will continue to increase. Please be upfront with your boss about how you feel and get the training and support you need to do a good job and remain happy at work.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    I am an Operations Manager. The company used to be part of a larger one. When we were part of a larger one I assisted the finance department. I would gather receipts that my department had and made a version of a trial balance in Excel.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Hi Matilda,

Get the right balance sheets, bookkeeping reports and payroll managements with our firm who provide bookkeeping services to clients all over the world. Check out Smartfin.biz.

Get introduced to our team of 20 Quickbooks certfied Accountants and a group of CPAs.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Get introduced to the team of 20 Quickbooks certified accountants
    Hi Matilda,

Get the right balance sheets, bookkeeping reports and payroll managements with our firm who provide bookkeeping services to clients all over the world. Check out Smartfin.biz.

Get introduced to our team of 20 Quickbooks certfied Accountants and a group of CPAs.

Share on facebook