Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Companies that want to thrive in this market need to be able to provide excellent working conditions, since salary increases are not viable given the economic climate. If you are happy with your job, you'll stick with it even if the pay isn't that great, and companies that can provide that sort of personal touch (we're all this together) have a much better chance of riding out the storm during tough times. The salaries will come back around, but right now people need to feel like they aren't wasting their lives at their jobs for low pay.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I would want both. Everybody needs a good working environment other wise they would not work in that place of
    business. I would like to have a decent salary.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    There are four major categories to consider for employee engagement: compensation, benefits, professional development, and organizational culture. People have baseline expectations for salary and benefits, but there is little to no correlation between increasing salary and increasing job satisfaction. That said, you need to meet their baseline expectations for salary and benefits! On the contrary, there is a strong correlation between increasing investments in professional development/culture and increasing your employees' job satisfaction.

Pay a fair salary, invest a portion of your profits towards your staffs' professional development, and invest in your company's culture by holding workplace events (company picnics, etc.).

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    Salary and working conditions are somewhat interchangeable. Everyone would have their own exchange rate, but I see it like this:
    Flexible hours on short notice: Worth a lot to the working mom who has to deal with a sick child at home, but worth little to the person without kids. (Daycare is the same.)
    Free coffee, snacks, or meals: For the young fast food employee, a free lunch is a valuable thing, but for the middle aged diet conscious adult it may be no perk at all. (Other taxable benefits anyone?)
    Free use of facilities: A free ski pass was a great incentive when I started working at a ski hill. When I foolishly got myself promoted to a 9 to 5 Monday to Friday desk job, that pass had little value.

If we have options in terms of employment, to choose or not to choose dollars over perks and conditions, we will assign a value to these benefits and make out decisions according to that value.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Me personally I will work for peanuts if my boss is good. A good leader that is... nothing absolutely nothing compares to a good leader. I don't care if you pay me more then I am worth, yea I will show up, but I won't appreciate you if you pay to well and don't also lead well. Also, even if I have to work in a closet if my boss understands somethings gotta change then I will stand by them to the end. To me it's all in who I work for. Which since your asking the question, I would assume you are a great leader! Shoe in!!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    People take a job because of the salary and benefits. These are SHORT TERM motivators. Some people even refer to the as de-motivators.

People leave jobs because of poor working conditions. Working conditions and happiness in your company (pat on the back, etc) is a long term motivator.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    They're both very important for different reasons. I would say that great working conditions is the most important factor as one should usually be prioritizing long-term benefits. As an employee, a better salary might draw me in but less than great working conditions would quickly drive me away.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    It's about finding the balance. Good working conditions are essential but if the salary is very low, then it will limit your capability of having a good time outside of work. While a normal salary is fine, if you are working minimum wage and barely have enough money for food you can't expect to go out with friends of family for dinner or be able to afford going abroad on holidays etc.

But even a high salary is not worth it if you feel miserable. So finding the proper balance is what is best for everyone.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    When you are still young, aim to save money as much as possible. This of course can be achieved by getting a job with a high salary. However, as you age, you should start finding a job that is more comfortable for you. It is not worth your time to waste it all away in a job that takes pretty much all of your time. Since during your younger years you have been earning high salary, once you switch job, you should be more likely to be offered a salary in a similar range although the workload might be lighter.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Actually a balance between both would be the most optimal solution. People and especially employees do not want to deal with extreme work environments and extreme compensation. They would rather work for a decent job that provides good income while having a decent working atmosphere and a good place to work in. Extremes for these kinds of things are not beneficial.

Share on facebook