Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    I think the best and only true safe solution is to have a PC that is used only for paying online and will visit only safe websites. You can use some older cheaper PC for this.
    It will increase your chances a lot, but even this is not 100% sure.
    I personally prefer banks who have some sort of keycode list. For example my bank gives me a list of 500 keycodes, each one corresponding to a number. I put in my ID and password and the website will give me a number, to which I have to "reply" with the code corresponding to that number. Once a code is used once it is discarded. This way I'm safe because that one list is on an actual paper instead of being on my computer, and each code is only used once.

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    I probably am not as careful with this as I should be. I use basic safety rules, like having tricky passwords to figure out and only shopping on safe sites. I suppose I should be more diligent about protecting my information, though.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaKay View Post
    I probably am not as careful with this as I should be. I use basic safety rules, like having tricky passwords to figure out and only shopping on safe sites. I suppose I should be more diligent about protecting my information, though.
    Those are both good but in addition activating any additional security systems provided by your bank and regularly scanning your computer are great ideas. You just can't be too carefull when it comes to keeping your bank account safe.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    If you are banking with a major institution in your country they should have a protection agreement in place. In that agreement they will let you know what you can do to protect yourself against hackers ( change your passwords periodically, close browsers when done.etc.) and what they will do if something happens.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    It will increase your chances a lot, but even this is not 100% sure.
    I personally prefer banks who have some sort of keycode list. For example my bank gives me a list of 500 keycodes, each one corresponding to a number. I put in my ID and password and the website will give me a number, to which I have to "reply" with the code corresponding to that number. Once a code is used once it is discarded. This way I'm safe because that one list is on an actual paper instead of being on my computer, and each code is only used once.
    The combination of that kind of keycodes and a specific PC is the best thing then!

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    No matter what system you have in place for internet banking you can never be 100% safe but being vigilant is the best thing. Make sure your antivirus software is up to date. Make sure you go to the bank, it doesn't come looking for you. Even when I do get a legitimate link from my bank to take me somewhere directly, I never use it. I open the Bank's site and navigate. I periodically look at all the tasks running in the background on my computer to make sure I know exactly what is active (this is also handy to speed things up a bit). Finally I use a different browser with higher security settings - which makes it pretty useless for browsing but gets me to my bank.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    Love the idea of using a different browser for banking. So simple and quite effective.. now if only I'd find another browser I like using.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    There's many ways to keep your internet banking safe and secure and a lot is down to you as the user to do, which includes keeping your computer secure, ensuring you keep anti-virus's up to date etc etc, my bank also does a lot on security, for example everytime I log onto my bank it tells me to install their certified internet security (which personally I dont need as I am a IT professional and know how to keep my computer safe), they also use 2-factor authentication which includes a physical secure key being sent out to me to my address and everytime I want to log on I have to enture a code on my device to create a code to enter on the website, so the only way for my security to be flawed is if someone broke into my physical address.

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Right. You need to stop being so paranoid. Just restore the computer to factory settings. It will wipe all the files off the hard drive, and install the operating system again. This way you don't have to worry about any key-loggers. Only visit safe sites from this computer, and you will be o.k.

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Online banking is quite dangerous, also due to the rise in phishing emails. Phishing emails use Bank names as disguises to try to get your account number and password in order to get the money in your account. Try to avoid these emails because they could really cause some damage financially.

Good luck and watch out for scam emails that pretend to be bank accounts!

Share on facebook