Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Help on building customer relationships
    I wanna find a way where I can create a comfortable atmosphere in my family's cafe. Basically, I want to build customer loyalty so they could keep coming back.

Any suggestions on how I could do this efficiently?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    In the restaurant and the cafe business, the most important thing the owner needs to care about is creating a good ambiance. The next aspect you have to concentrate upon is the quality of food/drinks you offer. Its the ambiance and the quality of food/drinks of a cafe or a restaurant which brings the customers back. And you need to have competitive rates for your offerings, so that it is not too much for the general public to afford.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    Not much to add, pahagwl above nails it! Some smooth music, great food and service is all required and expected. But since it's a family business you could also try interacting with your customers all the time: a nice word here and there, a smile, some life advice and before you know it they turn in repeat customers that market your business by word of mouth. Maybe try some loyalty cards also, I got this advice a lot in one of my threads and honestly, it works.

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    make you sure that once the customer gets in, a greet and a smile will add to the atmosphere. if the customer feels welcome they will definitely come back. but of course quality of the food is the most important =)

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    I think a great way to build that ambiance would be to make sure the lighting inside is comfortable (not to bright, not to dim), and the music you play--if any--is soothing, calm, and soft. Sometimes when I go into a coffee shop that has elevator music blasting, the only thing I can think about is how fast I'm going to get out of there. Playing soft music with no distracting words (jazz, classical, piano, etc) at a low volume will help give people the impression that this is a place to stay and relax.

I also think if you want to build that sense of community and loyalty, you could promote special events at the cafe, depending on the size. You could hold poetry or open-mic nights to get people to come back later in the evening. If someone in the community is holding a fund-raiser, offer your place as the location. Give a free coffee with every $10 donation or something. Make your cafe part of the event, not just the setting. That way your business will be as memorable as the event, and get people to want to come back on their own time.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    Maybe be nice to your customers, become their friends. They will come in more if you're friendly and they might just come in for a coffee and a chat with you

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    All the advice in this thread is spot on. Focus on the atmosphere, providing top quality service, and mingling with your customers. Also, this might seem like a no-brainer, but make sure you are providing the highest quality product that you can. It really makes a difference to the customer if you have the best product combined with the other tips.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    Rule #1: be friendly. Don't underestimate this aspect above all!

An example: there is a well-known sandwich shop in town. The college kids in there work behind a tall counter, don't greet, and the cashier isn't friendly past the basic necessity. A new shop opened up and we decided to try it on a whim. The staff was smiling and happy, and they even conversed as they made your sandwich - actual conversation, not asking how you are and leaving it at that. When you leave they all yell "Thank you!". We never looked back at that first shop, even though the new one cost more to eat at.

Best of all, being friendly is free and easy!

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by czechchick5 View Post
    Rule #1: be friendly. Don't underestimate this aspect above all!

An example: there is a well-known sandwich shop in town. The college kids in there work behind a tall counter, don't greet, and the cashier isn't friendly past the basic necessity. A new shop opened up and we decided to try it on a whim. The staff was smiling and happy, and they even conversed as they made your sandwich - actual conversation, not asking how you are and leaving it at that. When you leave they all yell "Thank you!". We never looked back at that first shop, even though the new one cost more to eat at.

Best of all, being friendly is free and easy!
    First of all, thank for offering awesome advice. Second of all, thank you for giving me a perfect example. My family and I are quite shy when starting up conversations because honestly, in my country, it's not so common to talk to strangers. Majority of people like to mind their own business. So we're afraid to start talking to someone because we have a feeling they might not want to be talked to at the time.

I'll try your advice out though, and it's true, a smile always helps.

Wish me luck! Thanks again

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    Offer some kind of loyalty card. 10 coffees and you get the 11th one for free or something like that. That really gets people coming back.

Share on facebook